Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ehubbard on 11 Mar 2018
  • I don't have one yet -- but I suspect one might be showing up for my birthday here in a few weeks..:)

My wife is concerned about smoke staining the patio cover.  Our Patio cover is over most of our cement, so if I want to get it out from under the patio cover it'll be a good distance from the backdoor.   I'm pretty sure I'll just end up utilizing the four good wheels to move it when I want to cook -- however I wanted to ask if folks have come up with any hacks/solutions to direct the smoke a few feet the other direction?  (course.. assume no wind?!)

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Mar 2018
  • someone here put a dryer vent hose (metal) over the chimney and ran it outside of their covered patio
  • #3 by Bobitis on 11 Mar 2018
  • $10.00 fan.
  • #4 by Bentley on 11 Mar 2018
  • Distance between chimney and top of patio cover?
  • #5 by ehubbard on 11 Mar 2018
  • Patio cover is about 12 feet high. 

Dryer vent hose..that is an excellent idea...  I could... even put it close to the electrical outlet if I did that!  Just need to make it cosmetically appealing...hmmm

Fan is also a solid idea... maybe a small one on the rectec itself blowing away..

You guys are great!  :)

• #6 by ehubbard on 11 Mar 2018
  • So what is the purpose of the little cap over the chimney?  just to keep out debris? or is there actually supposed to be some backpressure of some sort?
  • #7 by Goosehunter51 on 11 Mar 2018
  • I have been cooking under my patio, stucco, 10’, for going on three years.  Have not noticed any staining at all.  Have had to pull away from the windows as a film does build up on them.  Hard to clean.
  • #8 by ehubbard on 11 Mar 2018
  • My patio is coated metal..  my old charcoal webber was leaving a stain... so I started using it just off the edge.. but it doesn't take electricity or produce as much smoke as..(I would think). 

Sounds like there are plenty of options..:)      Gotta finish up my taxes and make sure there aren't any bad surprises there before *I* can sign off on buying it...   then just need to get past the wife obstacle...  bday is the 23rd of March..:)
  • #9 by glitchy on 11 Mar 2018
  • Wouldn’t charcoal be hotter heavier smoke even if less? I’ve been smokin under here for 7 years and haven’t noticed any stains, but there’s obviously a lot of factors like color, wind, etc. Mine is 11-12 foot high and on the side of the house where I can probably count the days where you couldn’t feel any breeze on my fingers.

Well, i tired to attach a pics but wont work all of a sudden.
  • #10 by Bentley on 11 Mar 2018
  • I seem to have the same story as Goosehunter...But I am only about 9 feet!  Doesn't hurt to have a smoke colored patio ceiling color!

• #11 by Ross77 on 11 Mar 2018
  • So what is the purpose of the little cap over the chimney?  just to keep out debris? or is there actually supposed to be some backpressure of some sort?

If you adjust the cap it will change the performance of the smoker. 
  • #12 by ehubbard on 11 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for the data guys.  I just measured and I estimate 5' from the smoke stack to the roof.  We do have a fan on the patio cover -- maybe just running it in suck mode.. would be enough to keep the smoke off of the patio cover.    The dryer vent idea was met with an epic "ugly!".. she is unconvinced I could make it palatable.   
  • #13 by Conumdrum on 12 Mar 2018
  • Strong metal 4" dryer tube, works great.  Don't get the weak metalized ones, get all aluminum.  Been using one for over 4 years now.  Ask me how the wife felt about ne nice light brown patina on the new patio cover.

• #14 by glitchy on 12 Mar 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Strong metal 4" dryer tube, works great.  Don't get the weak metalized ones, get all aluminum.  Been using one for over 4 years now.  Ask me how the wife felt about ne nice light brown patina on the new patio cover.

You must be from down under mate?
  • #15 by melaleuca727 on 14 Mar 2018
  • In an operation this big, you gotta expect losses.
Pages:
Actions