Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bobitis on 20 Feb 2018
  • #2 by pmillen on 20 Feb 2018
  • Cool.  I see it was posted to youtube in 2014 but I had the feeling that it was actually quite old.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 21 Feb 2018
  • Even tells how/where Liquid Smoke comes from.
  • #4 by dk117 on 21 Feb 2018
  • Even tells how/where Liquid Smoke comes from.
    I would love to experiment with that liquid smoke!

DK
    • dk117
  • #5 by LowSlowJoe on 21 Feb 2018
  • Anyone besides me ever seen these? Do you know where they are?

• #6 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2018
  • Looks a lot like Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site in Pennsylvania.  But maybe larger.
  • #7 by Free Mr. Tony on 21 Feb 2018
  • Possibly  Charcoal-Kilns-06.jpg?  Just kidding. I've never seen them before.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 21 Feb 2018

•  Interesting video.

There are  only two  liquid smokes I know of. Hickory and mesquite. That is how Traeger flavours their base wood ( oak or alder ) pellets .

Charcoal kilns.
  • #9 by LowSlowJoe on 21 Feb 2018
  • I'll give you a hint... if you wanted to go to the highest point within 20 miles of the lowest point in North America, you'd drive right past these kilns.  At least that's how I stumbled across them...
  • #10 by LowSlowJoe on 21 Feb 2018
  • I'll give you a hint... if you wanted to go to the highest point within 20 miles of the lowest point in North America, you'd drive right past these kilns.  At least that's how I stumbled across them...

And for the record... I didn't quite make it to the peak near there... I drove as far as I could, got up to about 8000 feet, got out of the car and started hiking along a trail... about 200 feet of walking up the trail and I realized... I'm just not cut out for hiking at 8000 feet.... and this was when i was about 30 years old or so... at 56, I probably wouldn't make it out of the parking lot.
  • #11 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2018
  • Wow!  Great puzzle.  I'm on it.
  • #12 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2018
  • Dang!  I have to go to the dentist.
  • #13 by Bentley on 21 Feb 2018
  • No respirators...Interesting, definitely not made in the US.
  • #14 by LowSlowJoe on 21 Feb 2018

Inyo County, CA near Death Valley.  Website:  https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/historyculture/charcoalkilns.htm

A very interesting place... ( Death Valley and surrounding area ).   Prior to that trip there, I had never had any idea of how charcoal was made...  It still didn't really make sense to me why they would build the kilns in that particular location, it seemed extremely remote, didn't seem like there were that many trees around to use to make into charcoal... ( but then I'm born and raised in Michigan, where trees are everywhere ). 

Of course on that same trip, in like 5 days I drove from Las Vegas, to Death Valley, down to Joshua Tree... , across miles and miles of old Route 66, through places like Oatman and Kingman... kind of amazing how much of the old road is still there... to the Grand Canyon, then north to Bryce Canyon, over to Zion NP, and on back into Las Vegas ( coming into that city at night time on a lonely desert Hwy is quite a site to see ).  So, the charcoal kilns were just one of many interesting sites I saw on that 1400 mile trip around the Las Vegas strip...  Much of it was flying by at 70 and sometimes 80 MPH though.   I probably wouldn't be very well suited for such a long and fast paced sight seeing trip these days, but I'm extremely glad I got to see that area when I did.  Very cool stuff around the whole area out there.
  • #15 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2018
  • I had never had any idea of how charcoal was made...

Here is a 10-minute video on how the Colonials made it.  This National Park, Hopewell Furnace, in Pennsylvania, is the best historic site I've seen.
Pages:
Actions