Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the difference...  (Read 1976 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
What is the difference...
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »

I guess I though something like the "stick" sous vide, such as the Annova...would only work on a small volume of water, maybe 6-8 quarts.  And a larger one say like the Souvia on larger ones like maybe 6-8 gallons.  But as I do some research, it appears that the Anova will go up to 4-5 gallons (that's 16-20 quarts) and the Souvia about 8 gallons (or 30 quarts).  I realize that quality cost more, but I am trying to figure out if there are benefits to a unit that will only heat and circulate 30% more water yet cost almost 3x as much .  If I were to buy one, I know I would want to try a Rib Roast in it, and use the Weed Burner to sear it.  So I am going to need a container that will handle probably a 20-24 inch roast, but I figure I would just modify a cooler, seems cheaper then the ones sold on Amazon!

Like I said, why pay 3x as much, and don't get me started on the one that is $799, I don't get that at all!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:43:00 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: What is the difference...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »

why not sear on your Memphis?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »

Wanna try the weed burner!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »

Wanna try the weed burner!

I've read reports of a propane taste when using similar.  They mentioned that chef's torches for searing Crème Brûlée and such aren't propane.  The consensus cure was to not touch the meat with the flame.

Don't ask me any questions.  I told you everything I know.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 12:07:22 AM »

You’re circulating and heating water, doubt you’ll get much out of spending more like you would with features on say a pellet grill. I have the Anova and it’s been just fine. There’s often sales for $100-150 depending on if you get WiFi or not.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »

I use my anova for SS a few times a yr.   I have regular plastic totes the SS fits in. I wrap the tote in a couple moving blankets and made a crude lid to keep heat in.  I've probably have 6-8 gal of water in there with know issues.  I definitely preheat the water too.  If I was overly concerned about the amount of water the unit is supposed to heat, I'd buy two of them are rig something up and still be a xxxx of a lot cheaper than the more expensive unit. 

I haven't done a rib roast yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to use my anova on a 18#er.  I'd probably modify a cheap 48 qt cooler for that bath though.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »

I'd buy two of them are rig something up and still be a xxxx of a lot cheaper than the more expensive unit. 

Right.  Run them independently from the other. 

I've thought about buying a second Anova because I sometimes want to simultaneously cook two different items, like meat and vegetables.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »

So there seems to be no compelling reason to buy a larger, more expensive unit from those that have and use the smaller ones...I hear no remorse like in a smaller pit...

Now the question would be, why not buy the $59 Brevo, 800 watts, temperature range and holding accuracy almost identical, 15 quart capacity, circulates 8 liters/minute...almost the same specs as the Anova...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »

So there seems to be no compelling reason to buy a larger, more expensive unit from those that have and use the smaller ones...I hear no remorse like in a smaller pit...

Now the question would be, why not buy the $59 Brevo, 800 watts, temperature range and holding accuracy almost identical, 15 quart capacity, circulates 8 liters/minute...almost the same specs as the Anova...

Because I want to win the Anova in the raffle ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »

I have a couple smaller containers for most jobs, and a coleman stacker for the larger ones. A 2-3/8 hole saw in the lid works perfect for the Anova.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The issue I see with the more expensive units is that they are typically a self contained size. That's not a bad thing until you want to do something that doesn't fit. Yer not gonna get a packer in anything less than a cooler. My 12 qt will handle a 6-9# butt with no issues.

The biggest issues I see are the wattage, size, and wifi capability. The really expensive units are  a 'total package'. You will need to consider the ID of the units bath area.  The wifi part escapes me as it does at most times. Why would one put food out when they leave for work, and fire up the cooker 6-8 hrs later via wifi? That's far too long in the danger zone.

My Anova is the regular 800 watt unit. You can get 900W, but what's the advantage? It will heat the bath faster. Just add hot/boiling water to the container first.  ::) It's a selling point as far as I see it, with no real added value. When up to speed; what's the difference?

My medium vessel is wrapped with a welding blanket and retains heat nicely. The slightly smaller vessel will be used for making cheese and sits inside the larger vessel so there are no issues to be had. The cooler is insulated all around and there's little to no heat loss. FTC?

The Anova will heat up any container, so why limit yerself with a more expensive unit?

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »

See, when you have no clue, you don't even think about how it attaches!  Thanks for that.  I see exactly what you are saying, and now will go look at the other 2!  WiFi is not an option I would use.

There might be some issues with the Breva on some pots/containers as it uses a click to hold it in place while the Anova and Sous Vide Supreme use variable adjusting screw clamps.  Otherwise, if you do not care about wifi (and the Anova wifi is pretty weak on my version 1 year old), the Breva looks very economical.

I think I understand what you are saying, but it seems to me the Souvia is going to fit on the 10 (12, 16, 20, etc...) quart stock pot, maybe not as easy as it will my 48Qt Coleman, but I think it would, even being a rectangle?  Maybe that is inexperience speaking.  I know the Souvia will not fit on it like the Anova, but I think it would fit, and it would seem to me, I am cooking in one of the other.

I do not understand the ID statement...

The issue I see with the more expensive units is that they are typically a self contained size. That's not a bad thing until you want to do something that doesn't fit. Yer not gonna get a packer in anything less than a cooler. My 12 qt will handle a 6-9# butt with no issues.

You will need to consider the ID of the units bath area.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:42:17 PM by Bentley »

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »

Just looking at the pic of the Brevo, it appears much more shallow as to its heating ability. 6" depth mayby?

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

bregent

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »

Although it ain't rocket science, this step-by-step guide might help a bit for those wanting to convert a coleman stacker cooler for sous vide.
https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-cooler-guide/

yorbar

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »

I guess I though something like the "stick" sous vide, such as the Annova...would only work on a small volume of water, maybe 6-8 quarts.  And a larger one say like the Souvia on larger ones like maybe 6-8 gallons.  But as I do some research, it appears that the Anova will go up to 4-5 gallons (that's 16-20 quarts) and the Souvia about 8 gallons (or 30 quarts).  I realize that quality cost more, but I am trying to figure out if there are benefits to a unit that will only heat and circulate 30% more water yet cost almost 3x as much .  If I were to buy one, I know I would want to try a Rib Roast in it, and use the Weed Burner to sear it.  So I am going to need a container that will handle probably a 20-24 inch roast, but I figure I would just modify a cooler, seems cheaper then the ones sold on Amazon!

Like I said, why pay 3x as much, and don't get me started on the one that is $799, I don't get that at all!

The major advantage is time to desired heat temp on start up. I have the ANOVA, just starting to use it. I used a hole saw bit and cut a hole in the top of a cooler. Works good. I did some turkey breast at Thanksgiving, they were very good!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:06:12 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »

How big a cooler?  I know a few other Members have done modifications with PVC I think.  Did you simply cut the hole for the heater and circulator to fit in and the rest just sits outside the hole?  You think this 48 Qt. Coleman I have will allow the SV to go far enough in so that it does not have to be completely filled?

I used a hole saw bit and cut a hole in the top of a cooler. Works good.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up