Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Andygev35 on 26 Feb 2018
  • IMHO - the insert inside grills like is in the bottom of the Silverbac , isn't really so much 'dual wall'... I mean in some sense it is, but I believe the main benefit of that is related to if/when your grill overheats or you run it really hot, that insert thing will act like a shield to keep the outer portion of your grill from blistering or discoloring... it doesn't do all that much to provide insulation IMHO.
    I think it probably does exactly what you're describing, which in and of itself is a good thing, but would be better described as having a lower heat shield rather than dual walled insulation.  Good point.
  • #32 by okie smokie on 26 Feb 2018
  • IMHO - the insert inside grills like is in the bottom of the Silverbac , isn't really so much 'dual wall'... I mean in some sense it is, but I believe the main benefit of that is related to if/when your grill overheats or you run it really hot, that insert thing will act like a shield to keep the outer portion of your grill from blistering or discoloring... it doesn't do all that much to provide insulation IMHO. 

FYI, Fast Eddy's PG500 has a dual wall around the firebox area ( left hand side, bellow the direct grilling area, right were all the heat comes from )... I'm 99.9999% certain that the reason this area has dual walls, is because if it didn't the exterior of the grill near there would become very very hot and very likely would discolor badly when you run the grill anywhere near it's maximum temperature.  However, this dual wall area, probably does very little to improve efficiency of the grill. 

Anyway, I don't consider anything less than dual wall throughout the entire grill to be dual walled construction. But that's just me.

As for 430 stainless rusting...   cheap stuff sure can, but unless you live like directly on the coast or something, I'd suggest that there's not much wrong with using 430 SS on the exterior of a grill... There may be some good arguments for running 304 SS for some of the internal components , but I see very little good reason to use the more expensive 304 SS everywhere.   I've got a old propane grill that's sat outside through about 8 Michigan winters ( spring, summer, and fall too ) and it has only very minimal surface rust that is easily removed with something like Barkeepers friend...     So, I don't buy into this idea that if it ain't 304 SS, then it ain't no good for a grill...

Personally, I just simply can't recommend the Firecraft Q450... I may  be the only former owner that feels this way about it, but I didn't find it to preform to my satisfaction.

In what way(s) did the q450 not meet your expectations?
  • #33 by Ross77 on 26 Feb 2018
  • It was a particularly cold winter in Minnesota this year and I’m sure I used more pellets than usual but to be honest it really wasn’t something I considered when I was looking at different pellet smokers.

Some folks just throw a welding blanket over the top.

I ended up making a spreadsheet with several different models breaking down the different categories.  Cost, main cooking area, hopper size, warranty, WiFi etc.

For me it came down to cost, cooking area, warranty and to a lesser extent, hopper size. The 680 hopper is overkill but for long overnight brisket cooks it provides piece of mind.

At the time I felt like the 680 hit all my targets for the right price.
  • #34 by markalbob on 26 Feb 2018
  • so now my new question is auger fires and pellet drops vs spitting right into the firebox--is this a thing to worry about?  If so which brands have a better auger/delivery system?
    • markalbob
  • #35 by LowSlowJoe on 26 Feb 2018
  • It can happen on almost any pellet grill regardless of delivery system...  I would not worry that much about it... if it were a major problem on a grill you'd likely already have heard about it.
  • #36 by okie smokie on 26 Feb 2018
  • so now my new question is auger fires and pellet drops vs spitting right into the firebox--is this a thing to worry about?  If so which brands have a better auger/delivery system?
    Usually an auger involved with the pellet drop type also.  Only difference is that the auger does not directly load into the firepot, but rather dumps onto a slide, which then falls (slides) into your pot or burn trough.  Usually the fire will not be able to reach back up where the auger drop occurs.  However======?  Pro's and Con's for both.  I think either would be fine with me if I knew how to avoid the problems ahead of time.
    My idea for the perfect trouble free pit would be:
    1. All 304 SS body and grill grates (Costs more BUT costs less to produce since there is no cost for powder coating, Actually removes a major portion of time and expense in finishing)
    2.  PID controller with meat probe and auto shut down when temp is met
    3.  Fire pot dump mechanism, easy to operate between cooks without dismantling the pit.
    4.  Pellet slide feeding the fire pot/trough
    5.  Direct flame capability with easy mechanism
    6.  20 to 30 lb pellet hopper with pellet dump
    7.  Shelves underneath, and in front of lid
    8.  Heavy duty fans and motors, wiring etc
    9.  locking swivel wheels
    10.  All the above for less than $1500 delivered.????? Bet it could be done for less
    AM I DREAMING? 
  • #37 by sbryant24 on 26 Feb 2018
  • The Q-450 are 304 bodies now
  • #38 by okie smokie on 26 Feb 2018
    Some confusion on my part.  I now see that the China made units are now 304 SS bodies.  Grill grates are still coated steel. I saw this info on Meatheads forum, but not on the Q450 website.  Anyhow, good news for those interested in this unit. 
  • #39 by LowSlowJoe on 27 Feb 2018

Haven't seen any official statements of that...   I personally question why they would do that... the cost to do it, loss of profit, or cost to pass on to customers just seem to great to make it worth doing. You'd think that if it really was now made out of all 304 Stainless that it would be something they'd proudly have updated on their web site...  But , well their web site seems to have fallen into a state of decline...  they went from selling many brands of grills and related products, to only selling their own grill, and some wood pellets that appear to be rebranded BBQrs Delight...
  • #40 by okie smokie on 27 Feb 2018

Haven't seen any official statements of that...   I personally question why they would do that... the cost to do it, loss of profit, or cost to pass on to customers just seem to great to make it worth doing. You'd think that if it really was now made out of all 304 Stainless that it would be something they'd proudly have updated on their web site...  But , well their web site seems to have fallen into a state of decline...  they went from selling many brands of grills and related products, to only selling their own grill, and some wood pellets that appear to be rebranded BBQrs Delight...
    Saw that comment on Amazing Ribs on their review area.  I think there is too much mystery around this, so I will just observe for now.  Your comments appear reasonable. 
  • #41 by bmwhitetx on 27 Feb 2018
  • I was at a dealer in the north Dallas area yesterday. They carry Memphis, Pitts and Spits, GMG and Firecraft. Saw my first Firecraft in person. The sign they had on it said 304 and "Made in America" so something there was wrong if the above is true. Looking it over took I took it off my short list. The grill area seemed slightly smaller compared to the GMG DB (now top of my list) and the lid seemed very lightweight. The grates are nice and heavy-duty though. It looks like a very good grill and I like the direct flame insert, it's just not for me at this time. They had a model with a slight dent for $699 in their scratch and dent section. Was very tempted. Agree with the web site comments and also disappointed still no side shelf option. It does have mount points inside for a future second grid.
    • bmwhitetx
  • #42 by sbryant24 on 27 Feb 2018

I'm skeptical myself.  Just took a magnet to my stainless LG fridge and it wouldn't stick. Placed it on the Firecraft and it stuck.
  • #43 by okie smokie on 27 Feb 2018

I'm skeptical myself.  Just took a magnet to my stainless LG fridge and it wouldn't stick. Placed it on the Firecraft and it stuck.

That's what I would do to check.  Good reporting!. 
  • #44 by markalbob on 28 Feb 2018
  • did it, got the woodwind
    • markalbob
  • #45 by cookingjnj on 28 Feb 2018
  • Congrats on your new cooker.  Looking forward to hearing and seeing all your future great cooks.
Pages:
Actions