Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 31 Aug 2017
  • Lots of devices, I used to have one on my Traeger 075, as you can see, I was not as proficient at Cold Smoking when I started.

My preference now is dedicated Cold Smoke generator inside a pit, I now use the Blaz'n Smoker.  But I have built a Binford 4000 and I have even used a Soffit, when and to this day, do not know what a Soffit is!  I will assume folks have a device they like.

I used to think if you kept the temperature under 90°F you were OK for Cold Smoking...I had to rethink that, and I think you are pushing it if you get to 80°F.  65° seems to be the sweet spot for me.

No one can tell you how much time in the smoke, I can tell you for cheese, it is 3 hours for me.  I think many will find that way high, I understand, this is my preference.  I am not the kind of cheese eater that is going to cut off small hunks and put on a Ritz or a Trisket and eat, or just eat the hunk itself.  I am a use on a taco, or enchilada or a pizza, I really want that Smoke flavor to come through.  I am also boring, I am a simply a Cheddar and Pepper Jack guy...

My Age time is 2 weeks, and I like it vac sealed when I do it!

Good luck, and I hope folks with more experience will be in over the next few days and weeks to really show you how to do it!

Pages:
Actions