Poll: What product would you like to see members purchase and have evaluated/reviewed?

Griddle
- 22 (31.4%)
Sous vide macine
- 15 (21.4%)
Vertical smoker (like a Pit Boss)
- 33 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 25 Feb 2018
  • OK, one vote only.  This will run for one week and we will see how the members feel on which they prefer for the next potential member funded purchase.
  • #2 by yorkdude on 25 Feb 2018
  • I'm torn between 2.
    I'm interested in the sous vide reviews but want to also see the vertical reviews.
  • #3 by triplebq on 25 Feb 2018
  • Vertical smoker all the way!
  • #4 by yorkdude on 25 Feb 2018
  • May not matter but I would like to change my vote, vertical smoker please. We ordered an Anova, be here Tuesday.
  • #5 by TechMOGogy on 25 Feb 2018
  • Never seen the Pit Boss before
    Checked it out and I guess it is similar to an FEC100 style - pretty neat!
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 26 Feb 2018
  • I went vertical smoker also, would love to see the Pit Boss 5 series or higher done.
  • #7 by gwilliams99 on 26 Feb 2018
  • Vertical smoker for me also.
  • #8 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2018
  • Just know that I pontificate out loud, so just take it as my usual ramblings...I am going to assume that everyone that voted has some type of pellet unit.  So I am at a loss as to the attraction of why folks would want to see this?  For those that what to see it reviewed, is there something you are thinking it will do that a "regular" pellet BBQ will not?

Also, I though the griddle would do better.
  • #9 by Bobitis on 26 Feb 2018
  • For the record, what 'type' of smoker are we referring to? I see that PB has gas, electric, and pellet fed.

I toyed with the idea of converting my WSM to a pellet unit but had too many questions about it working properly. Particularly the exhaust. SmokeDaddy came out with a 22" version a few years ago, and I don't see where they're even available now. Too many issues?

All things being equal, the vertical versions offer up a lot more space. My little Traeger can do a whole rack of St Louis ribs or 2 racks of bb's. It's biggest drawback is yer not going to get a 15lb bird in there without spatchcocking. I digress....

Regardless of choice, I'd like to see some serious attention given to heat distribution. I'm sure it can do low and slow all day/night long. But what about the higher temp sensitive cooks like pizza, breads, deserts, etc. As is, I just set my temp and cook/bake.

I won't be joining in but will watch closely.
  • #10 by Goosehunter51 on 26 Feb 2018
  • I voted for the vertical smoker but would enjoy seeing any of the three reviewed.  I say as the owner of the site you choose.  I am in either which way it goes.

Goose
  • #11 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2018
  • When I start paying, I can start choosing!

I would personally think that these vertical units are best used under 250° & I would think wont even hit 400°.  That they are truly cabinet smokers, maybe I am not on the same page...

I say as the owner of the site you choose.
  • #12 by Timbo1010 on 26 Feb 2018
  • What Goose said +1
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Feb 2018
  • When I start paying, I can start choosing!

I would personally think that these vertical units are best used under 250° & I would think wont even hit 400°.  That they are truly cabinet smokers, maybe I am not on the same page...

I say as the owner of the site you choose.

I am interested in how low it could get and stay lit as it may be great for jerky with that much capacity.  Also interested in if will get to 350° on every shelf so that I could use if for wings too.  It it did that and I won, I would probably have to get rid of the used Blazn as I am out of room on the patio without spending more $ to expand it.
  • #14 by Just David on 26 Feb 2018
  • I am interested in how low it could get and stay lit as it may be great for jerky with that much capacity.  Also interested in if will get to 350° on every shelf so that I could use if for wings too.  It it did that and I won, I would probably have to get rid of the used Blazn as I am out of room on the patio without spending more $ to expand it.

My Masterbuilt pellet unit on smoke mode stays around 155-160 (but I've only used it in late fall/winter). It maxes at 350° and hit it on every shelf. Actually the middle shelves would be around 350° while the top and bottom would be more like 365-370°. The vertical units are fairly fascinating. I broke my unit in on a smoke with 100 pounds of turkey and about 50 pounds of ham. I was excited to be able to put that much on a pellet unit!
  • #15 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2018
  • I am sure I will be severely chastised for the post in here I have already made, so why stop now.  It appears there is a clear winner, is there a unit (Manufacture) that has already been determined somewhere else and a model and I just missed it?
Pages:
Actions