Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pellet Basics - Blends and Non-blends  (Read 2744 times)

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Pellet Basics - Blends and Non-blends
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »

I have questions rather than information to offer.

What are pellet blends?  Specifically, if a blend says 60% hickory and 40% oak, does that mean the bag has 60% hickory pellets and 40% oak pellets?  Or are the pellets themselves individually comprised of a hickory and oak sawdust mixture?

Is there a difference between pellet species’ ability to maintain temps?  Or does that just depend on the controller and user?

Do some wood species pellets burn faster than others?

Do blends exist for any reason other than just being a flavor offering?  Do they offer anything in the way of burn consistency for holding temps or consumption economy?
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Pellet Basics - Blends and Non-blends
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »

I have questions rather than information to offer.

What are pellet blends?  Specifically, if a blend says 60% hickory and 40% oak, does that mean the bag has 60% hickory pellets and 40% oak pellets?  Or are the pellets themselves individually comprised of a hickory and oak sawdust mixture?

I've always believed a pellet is made of 1 specific wood like all hickory or oak or apple. Then the company mixes the pellets together to create a blend.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

triplebq

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »

Is there a difference between pellet species’ ability to maintain temps?  Or does that just depend on the controller and user?

Yes I believe some use oak as a base for heat and add others for added flavor. For example I have some Lumberjack pellets that are Oak, Hickory, and Cherry. To me the Oak gives good heat, the Hickory gives good flavor, and the Cherry gives good color and flavor. The controller will run the auger to maintain the desired temp.

triplebq

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »

Yes, some wood species burn faster and hotter than others.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »

It depends on the manufacturer.  I believe Lumberjack mixes pellets in the bag at the ratio listed.  I believe cookinpellets mixes their sawdust so that it is the ratio they list.

I believe some pellets have higher BTUs based on their content and some have more humidity in them than others.  Both of these may cause differences in temps and ash.

Do blends exist for any reason other than just being a flavor offering?  Do they offer anything in the way of burn consistency for holding temps or consumption economy?
Supposedly for flavor offering but I find it very hard to tell a difference in flavor due to pellet grills burning so clean.  I have found cherry to leave a redish hue on the outside of the meat.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:00:07 AM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »

Blend: My pellet manufacturer/supplier uses mixed hardwood sawdust ( oak/maple/cherry and walnut),kiln dried and debarked to make their premium hardwood blend pellets.

Species/Maintain Temps: Maintaining is a function of the controller.

Species Burn Faster: Different species have different BTU or heat outputs. Oak for example is hotter burning than Alder..There are other influencing factors such as humidity, density, physical dimensions and the wood itself. No two trees are the same.

Blends Exist: To manufacture a species specific pellet, the wood used must be of that species only. That makes sourcing more difficult where as blended wood is easier to obtain. An example would be sawdust generated in a flooring manufacturer producing

different flooring materials. That would be blend material. To add, some woods are more or less abundant..Apple wood isn't as common as Oak, of which there are several species...That would make the less abundant wood pellets more costly..As for flavour,

most of us can't tell the difference in the smoke "taste". That is not to say there isn't any. Hopes this helps.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »

I assume a "mixed" pellet, all the wood was mixed and then extruded through the die?  Not that 2 or 3 different wood pellets were put in one bag!

I guess maybe it is Manufacture specific?

I have asked Chris Becker to weigh in, will see if he has time, or it maybe proprietary info, will see!

To the other questions...I always though most pellets generate X amount (Appx 8500 for any species I think hardwood) of BTU/pound.  Pit controllers will influence the control of temperatures more then the pellet I think, as will ambient weather conditions. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:21:27 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »

I always though most pellets generate X amount (Appx 8500 for any species I think hardwood) of BTU/pound.  Pit controllers will influence that rate, as will ambient weather conditions.

Ummmm, not to appear argumentative, Bentley, but you may have written something other than what you meant.

Pit controller influence–A given quantity of wood produces a fixed amount of BTU when burned.  It doesn't matter how fast or slow it burns, you'll only get that fixed amount of BTU.  The controller can affect the rate of burn and add more wood to be burned and, therefore, affect the rate of pit temperature increase.

Ambient weather condition influence–The pit's environment will affect the rate at which the pit cools, which resists temperature increase, but the weather won't change the wood's fixed BTU supply.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 04:19:57 PM »

Yeah, you think you are specific...I meant the controller will determine the accuracy of temperature more then the pellet.  Not that the controller makes a difference on BTU output...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

chris becker

• Using less gas.
    • Cookinpellets
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »

Howdy all,
Here is my 2 cents and the way WE have always done it.
We blend, mix,  different sawdust together. It is a giant recipe for our Perfect Mix, Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple and Apple. It is not all the same % and there is OUR recipe just like grandmas cookies... we found what we think is a "PERFECT MIX" or percentage of those hardwoods with NO oak or alder.
As far as I know, all other manufactures have only made a hickory  pellet or an apple pellet or a cherry pellet, then an oak or alder pellet then added a percentage of each type into a bag and call it done. Our other pellets are made the same way as our Perfect Mix, if it is a mix. Like our Apple Mash is a mix of apple mash and hard maple. But our other pellets like hickory and our newer black cherry is just hickory or black cherry.
So a blend really is what ever the manufacturer wants to call it. Or rather what they do not. Remember most manufacturer bags that just say HICKORY or Apple or Pecan or whatever on them are not hickory or the rest  but a blend of what is ON the bag and an oak or alder that is not on the bag. Not knocking them. We choose to tell what we put in our bags.
Hope that helps!
Smoke On
Chris
Chris The Pellet Guy

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »

Chris, when is that 100% cherry going to be available?  Unfortunately, I can't just drive 30 minutes north to pick up bags like I used to when I lived in Northern IL.  Looking forward to giving these a try.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »

Thanks for the explanation Chris.  It is always appreciated when a manufacturer will take the time to come on the forum and offer some insight.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »

What a good Guy!

I have plenty of pellets stockpiled but I was so pleased with him taking the time to comment that yesterday I went out and bought a bag of Cookinpellets Perfect Mix.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Chris.  It is always appreciated when a manufacturer will take the time to come on the forum and offer some insight.

+1. That’s pretty cool. I mess around on forums related to my other hobbies and this type of thing never happens there.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

MikeBsBBQ

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 11:22:38 PM »

Thanks Chris for your time to explain your process. Very helpful.

It  got me thinking about how does Danson Louisiana & Pit Boss make their pellets. So I called and asked. As Chris Becker stated many manufactures mix pre made pellets in the bag. That is exactly how Danson does it for their pellets. More Maple as the base wood than the flavor pellet or mix. I also found out that the New Competition Blend is now Maple, Hickory, Apple mix. No more Cherry. The Cherry is now only in the Fruit Blend of Apple, Maple, Cherry.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up