Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit the bullet and ordered a new grill from Lone Star Grillz  (Read 2828 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM

Had the the Yoder YS640S with comp cart at the top of my list.
Then saw a review of a YS60S by AngryBBQ, and he had some advice for newbies to NOT buy this as your first grill, but buy something cheap to start with to see it you will stay with it.
Good advice.   Also, he made mention of another USA made grill that I had forgotten all about - Lone Star GrillZ.

Well, after watching their video, and numerous emails with Chris about the grills, I pulled the trigger.

I ordered the 20" x 42" pellet grill.  No shortage of grill space in this puppy.   ;D
Comes with 5" solid rubber tires, I upgraded to 8" pneumatic.

Some nice features, some that Yoder doesn't have:
Grates slide out.
40lb pellet hopper
Pellets are ignited by hot air.   I guess a fan blowing hot air over the ceramic igniter extends the life of the igniter.
They say the contact with pellets cause igniter failure.
Burn pot pulls out for cleaning
Has FireBoard Controller with 6 probe ports
Chris said the hole for probes on the grill is big enough for 6 probes to go through.  My Memphis could barely allow one to go through.
Auger has an open center. Supposed to virtually eliminate any auger jams
Auger tube is 8" long, hopper is out 10" and pellets slide down a ramp, so unlikely to have any auger fires.

Lead time is 6-18 weeks.  Now the waiting...
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Bit the bullet and ordered a new grill from Lone Star Grillz
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 03:21:27 PM »

Chris said the hole for probes on the grill is big enough for 6 probes to go through.  My Memphis could barely allow one to go through.

Interesting, I can get all 3 heavy jacket probes through no problem my Memphis Pro. Maybe they changed with the made in China stuff.
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 03:49:31 PM »

Interesting, I can get all 3 heavy jacket probes through no problem my Memphis Pro. Maybe they changed with the made in China stuff.

I could get more than one Thermoworks Smoke through, but the Memphis probe have a thick metal casing, probably 3/16 or 1/4 inch in diameter.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 04:31:54 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

MikeMcQ

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 04:06:35 PM »

I was referring to the Memphis probes getting all 3 through no problem.... ;)
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 04:31:25 PM »

I was referring to the Memphis probes getting all 3 through no problem.... ;)
Must have a larger hole than I had on the Elite.

Fire708

• Shelton!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 11:46:10 PM »

Congrats!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 01:19:56 PM »

I'm happy for you.  That appears to be a superior choice.  There's an uncrating and burn-in video on youtube that has caused me to rethink my short list.  I'll continue to research it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »

I've seen both of those videos.
Uncrating is pretty straight forward.
Will have to keep track of every nail when taking it apart, since I ordered the 8" pneumatic tire upgrade.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 10:24:54 PM »

Very impressive, and the price is reasonable for all that quality, and options. Keep us informed.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 08:24:52 AM »

After my pellet grills that I have left kick the bucket, I am not sure that I will buy another.  Sad, but true.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 09:47:52 AM »

After my pellet grills that I have left kick the bucket, I am not sure that I will buy another.  Sad, but true.

Reason ?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 03:50:33 PM »

Reason ?

Too much hassle vs a gas grill compared to to the cost differential nowadays.   They used to be almost comparable in price but it seems a good pellet grill is 3x+ a Weber gas grill nowadays.  I also haven't budgeted $5k+ for a new one,
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 03:55:00 PM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MikeMcQ

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »

Which of your pellet grills listed are still functioning? Could be a long long time until you'd need to make that decision!  ;D

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 04:28:39 PM »

Too much hassle vs a gas grill compared to to the cost differential nowadays.   They used to be almost comparable in price but it seems a good pellet grill is 3x+ a Weber gas grill nowadays.  I also haven't budgeted $5k+ for a new one,

Well, you probably wouldn't want a new Memphis anyway, you'd be disappointed when comparing it to what you have.
There are American made units for a lot less money that have removable burn pots, or a way to dump the ash in less than a minute.
Don't have to vacuum inside for many cooks.
Cleaning exterior is no different that a gasser.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 04:31:50 PM by 02ebz06 »

chefjeff

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »

Just saw your post, written on May 18....looks like you are getting very close to delivery!  I ordered the same grill, other than getting the 20 x 36 inch.  I ordered on July 3, and hopefully mid October I'll be in business. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up