Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 26 Feb 2018

• Does anyone have a sure fire method to tear a piece of foil from the box that is straight?  Some how I end up with the last inch or two being being torn off at an angle at times.
  • #2 by Mudflap on 26 Feb 2018
  • Got to keep pulling down at same angle as you started it at. As you get closer to the body you tend to pull level or out/up more causing the little wow at end. Place box on edge of counter and pull all the way through at same angle. Your hand has to get lower as you come to the front to tighten the edge closes to your body as you cut.  :2cents:

I see this all the time in the paper mill. We tear 260 wide paper all day with 2 people. You can tell when the guy on the front pulls up and not down through the end you get that extra tail left on we have to tape down.

Mudflap
  • #3 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2018
  • I am no help, got into alcoholic rage yesterday trying to get one piece to cover butts!  Took 3 tries.

What species are used?

I see this all the time in the paper mill.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 26 Feb 2018
  •  Thanks Mudflap, I'll give it a try..Makes perfect sense.

Bent- That was the kind of problem (irregular tearing) I was encountering. Now we know how to do it.
  • #5 by KNIGHTDAD on 26 Feb 2018
  • Use to have problems with the Reynolds stuff. Picked up the commercial stuff from Sam’s, even my son can get a perfect tear with it.
  • #6 by Mudflap on 26 Feb 2018
  • I am no help, got into alcoholic rage yesterday trying to get one piece to cover butts!  Took 3 tries.

What species are used?

I see this all the time in the paper mill.

Douglas fir

Mudflap
  • #7 by SmokinHandyman on 26 Feb 2018
  • I use the ticker gage foil
  • #8 by RWhyman on 26 Feb 2018

• Does anyone have a sure fire method to tear a piece of foil from the box that is straight?  Some how I end up with the last inch or two being being torn off at an angle at times.

Less  drinking while cooking! ;D
  • #9 by Lantern on 27 Feb 2018
  • I think this is one of the driving reasons why folks have switched to pans instead of wrapping butts. LOL
    • Lantern
  • #10 by Chashub on 27 Feb 2018
  • On each end of the box that the foil comes in, there is a perforated area that if you push in, it will lock the roll into place. That helps a little bit. I have seen it on every brand of foil!
    Charlie
  • #11 by Chashub on 28 Feb 2018
  • I forgot to mention that I get the foil ready while the butt is still packaged. Pre-sizing makes it much easier than hot off the grill!
    Charlie
  • #12 by Bobitis on 28 Feb 2018
  • On each end of the box that the foil comes in, there is a perforated area that if you push in, it will lock the roll into place. That helps a little bit. I have seen it on every brand of foil!
    Charlie

No, it's not a Russian hack. One thing I would add, is closing the lid back over the box before tearing. I never knew this, and I been around a few decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiPh_UPzEw

• #13 by Canadian John on 01 Mar 2018
  • Lots of good info. Thank you all...
  • #14 by CaptJerry on 01 Mar 2018
  • Aluminum foil? No sweat.
    Now Saran Wrap makes me want to kick the dog.
  • #15 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • My issues is being lazy.  I have never had issues with plastic wrap or aluminum foil trying to come out of package...but I have used the 2.1 mile ones for so long I don't remember dealing with the little store bought ones.

Our foil is in a bottom shelf, so it is not really possible to tear it correctly when you are 3 feet above it...yet I do, then I get angry why it does not come off correctly!   :pig:
Pages:
Actions