Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by cookingjnj on 01 Mar 2018
  • Aluminum foil? No sweat.
    Now Saran Wrap makes me want to kick the dog.

Especially when nearing the end of the roll.......
  • #17 by Conumdrum on 01 Mar 2018

I HATE Saran Wrap, even more so since it's perfect for some things.  It's so hard to use, it laughs at me as I pull the roll out to use it.  The wife showed me a tick though.  Lay it out on the counter, pull out what you need, and put your forearm across it then tear.  It's still a PITA.

• #18 by Mudflap on 01 Mar 2018

I HATE Saran Wrap, even more so since it's perfect for some things.  It's so hard to use, it laughs at me as I pull the roll out to use it.  The wife showed me a tick though.  Lay it out on the counter, pull out what you need, and put your forearm across it then tear.  It's still a PITA.

I get the one from Costco with the slide cutter. Pull out what you want stick to edge of counter and slide the cutter across. Easy peasy until you pick up and it clings together.

Mudflap
  • #19 by Conumdrum on 01 Mar 2018

I get the one from Costco with the slide cutter. Pull out what you want stick to edge of counter and slide the cutter across. Easy peasy until you pick up and it clings together.

Mudflap

Clings together!   ??? Agg why did you bring that up?  LOL, too funny, got a laugh outta your post, made my day. :D
  • #20 by LowSlowJoe on 02 Mar 2018

Yup...  show me how to tear off a hunk of Saran Wrap cleanly and I'd be eternally grateful...     Even more so , if you show me how to do it on the big 18" wide rolls that I like to use when I wrap my bacon in during the curing process.
  • #21 by glitchy on 02 Mar 2018
  • Even though this has shifted more to saran wrap, I wanted to chime in and say I only use the heavy duty foil anymore. I sometimes get the messed up corner, but not that often and usually only when I don't make the single steady motion others have mentioned. If I just commit myself and make the rip in one motion it's almost always clean. Also, with the heavy duty I usually don't get 5 inadvertent holes in it before I get it applied as well.

As for saran xxxx, er I mean wrap, I can't offer anything there. I just avoid using the stuff since I usually want to kick or punch something before I'm done. Especially when it clings to everything I don't want it to and nothing I do  :'(
  • #22 by Canadian John on 02 Mar 2018

•  Off topic again;

Saran= self clinging..That is, to itself or anything near it.  I think the answer to handling Saran is two people, 4 hands.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Mar 2018
  • With saran wrap, I too use the big box that has the cutter on it.  I pull it out the length that I need and let it lie on the counter/island and then put the food on top and wrap it up.  If I am putting it over top of a container, I pull it over top of the container and let it sit on top and then cut and secure to the container.  Easy peazy as someone else said here. ;D
  • #24 by MN-Smoker on 05 Mar 2018
  • Aluminum foil I can do, but frustrating when I have to try to grab into the box to regrab the end again.
    The roll seems to back roll or something so it's hard for me to grab.

With Saran wrap, I  pull it out with the loose end on the edge of my countertop, then pull and lay out down and then put item on top of it.

If I'm putting something over a bowl, you just grab enough to hold it against one side of the bowl, pull it up over the top and down the other side and tear with a quick angled rip.

• #25 by Canadian John on 06 Mar 2018

• The answer, thanks to Mudflap..IT WORKS. Absolutely straight tear. No tails..So easily done.
  • #26 by Clonesmoker on 06 Mar 2018
  • When it comes to Saran Wrap.... I say "screw it" and pull the roll out of the box.  I just hand tear it off when done.  I guess I have too much experience using shrink wrap in my old job in a warehouse.
Pages:
Actions