Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Jakester on 27 Feb 2018
  • Hi Guys!

I am looking to buy my first pellet smoker. One of the reasons I am looking for a pellet smoker is because I would like to be able do long smokes and sleep through the night and sometimes run out from the house for a few hours. What would you guys say would be the best Smoker that can be left unattended for a few hours if needed.

I like the Rec Tec RT-680 / RT-700 but I know the Rec Tec uses a auger that feeds right into a firepot and I am afraid of auger fires or is that not a problem? Sounds to me like a drop feeder is safer then a direct feed into the firepot.
  • #2 by JimAZ on 27 Feb 2018
  • I have a Rec-Tec mini and have done several overnight cooks with no issues.  Longest cook so far is 225 degrees for 16 hours. Have never considered the possibility of an auger fire.
  • #3 by Bentley on 27 Feb 2018
  • Depending on where it is placed and the ambient weather conditions...any.

It is not a problem.

What would you guys say would be the best Smoker that can be left unattended for a few hours if needed.

I like the Rec Tec RT-680 / RT-700 but I know the Rec Tec uses a auger that feeds right into a firepot and I am afraid of auger fires or is that not a problem? S
  • #4 by Jakester on 27 Feb 2018
  • I also like the Yoder YS640 but I don't think it comes with wifi which I would like to have in case I do need to leave the house.
  • #5 by Th3Batman86 on 27 Feb 2018
  • Have a RecTec and had a Traeger before that with the same auger and firepot layout. Never had a problem. I know that people have but I think that if you keep it clean and treat it like a machine that needs periodic maintenance (cleaning) you will be fine. If you can afford the Yoder then I would definitely go for that just on build quality alone. If you are looking for WIFI them maybe consider a MAK. It is in the Yoder price range and quality with WIFI. Keep in mind the RecTec wifi wont be out for another month or so.

Regards,
    -Tim
  • #6 by RWhyman on 27 Feb 2018
  • Blaz'n Grill. You can get it with Wifi.  I have one but it doesn't have wifi.

I also have a Yoder.

If I were forced to sell one, I'm not sure which one I would let go.

Great service from both of them and they're both made in the USA. Nebraska and Kansas
  • #7 by Ross77 on 27 Feb 2018
  • I've never had an auger fire in my RT680.
  • #8 by cookingjnj on 27 Feb 2018
  • I've never had an auger fire in my RT680.

+1
Pages:
Actions