Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > MAK

MAK sear grates

(1/7) > >>

rwalters:
As some of you know, I recently decided to buy the MAK searing grates for my 2 Star.  Had a chance to put them to the test this evening with some simple skinless chicken thighs. Nothing fancy, but I was impressed. I am very familiar with how well aluminum conducts and transfers heat, but these things really did surprise me. With the Pellet Boss set at 425° these new grates seemed to have turned my MAK into quite the grilling machine. The real test will of course be a nice thick ribeye :)

Here’s a couple of pics of the grates just installed:

Here are a couple of pics of the chicken straight off the grill.  Nothing fancy.

I think I’m really gonna like these grates :)

rwalters:

--- Quote from: gtsum2 on February 28, 2018, 06:29:59 AM --- Now that’s a mess of fine looking chicken!  I direct for awhile and then on the grill grates, or on the new grates the whole time?  How long to cook?  I’ve never made skinless thighs before....Those grates look super heavy duty also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--- End quote ---
Thanks! They were cooked direct the entire time on the new grates, about 7 mins/side.

Bar-B-Lew:
Looking forward to seeing more of your cooks on these grates.  It may inspire me to use mine more frequently.

rwalters:

--- Quote from: gtsum2 on February 28, 2018, 08:30:04 AM ---They look awful good...that’s a pretty quick cook...in going to try some like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--- End quote ---
It’s a very quick cook. We buy these thighs quite often. As mentioned, they are skinless, but the way they are prepared makes them perfect for a weeknight grill session. They cook up mice and quick when time is short :)

rwalters:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on February 28, 2018, 08:31:06 AM ---Looking forward to seeing more of your cooks on these grates.  It may inspire me to use mine more frequently.

--- End quote ---
The thing I really like about the MAK, one of the things that really sold me on it, was its ability to easily turn into a “grill”.  It doesn’t have a “sear zone” like some pellet grills do, but the entire cooking surface turns into a direct (more of a semi direct) cooking area. It’s very much like a gas grill in that sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View