Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by hughver on 27 Feb 2018
  • I do my shrimp at 130° and then add them to whatever dish that I'm preparing and they turn out fantastic.
  • #17 by cookingjnj on 27 Feb 2018
  • +1

yorkdude, that shimp dish also looks excellent.
  • #18 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Feb 2018
  • wow, after seeing that steak, i may have to buy one of these....that is an advertisement poster there
  • #19 by yorkdude on 28 Feb 2018
  • Bregent that steak looks crazy good.
    That's what I hope to accomplish, either that or smoked chops are up next.
    Those egg bites look really, really good. Definitely going to try those.

I also should have done the shrimp at 130, we just followed the instructions and they could have been a tad more tender but the flavor was excellent.

Lots of things to try, thanks for the ideas.
  • #20 by Lantern on 28 Feb 2018
  • For those that want to understand what sous vide does for steak that's already very tender I have a way to explain.

You know how a ribeye and prime rib are the same steak but the prime rib has this different texture due to the slow cook? That's what sous vide can do for your steaks.

HOWEVER, I strongly suggest keeping individually cut tender steaks at LOW temps(120-130) for just an hour or so. Every degree is a little more water lost. Now, for tough collagen rich cuts things change....although they need to be 130 degrees or higher for pasteurization to kick in while they get tender.
    • Lantern
  • #21 by Ssteppe on 28 Feb 2018
  • I sous vide my steaks at 125 F before searing for about 30 seconds on each side. I like mine medium rare, but closer to rare than medium.
    Sometimes I cold smoke the steaks first before sous vide.

Here's a chart I made after trial and error. YMMV

Sous Vide temps and times:
    Chicken breast (served hot or cold, either way) - 140 F for 2 hours (salt 30 min. to 2 hr. ahead of time)

Pork chops - 140 F for 1 hour (salt 30 min. to 2 hr. ahead of time)

Halibut - 130 F for 1 hour (salt 30 min. ahead of time) - remove skin and sear in butter

Salmon - 120 F for 1 hour (salt 30 min. ahead of time) - sear afterward with skin on

Rack of Lamb - 130 F for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours - sear

Steak - cold smoke with Mesquite for about an hour, sous vide at 125 F for at least an hour - sear for 30 seconds per side, plus edges (550 F on pellet grill, on Grill Grates - flat side)

Lobster - 140 F for 20-60 minutes - can put butter in bag first

Ham - 140 F for 3 hours or more - leave in cryovac (I used turkey fryer pot to fit the ham)
Pages:
Actions