Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 28 Feb 2018
  • I've got three 9+ lb. pork butts on the Traeger that are currently at 145° IT with the pit set to 200°. I've got a doctors appointment at 10:45. There is no way the butts will be done before I have to leave. I'm thinking of pan/foil at IT of ~160° and leaving them cook until I return, 3 to 4 hours. Will the butts overcook if I leave the pit at say at 205° or 210°? I'm probably going to raise the pit to 275° so that I reach 160° IT before I leave. Thanks for the help.
  • #2 by hughver on 28 Feb 2018
  • Your probably right, I'll leave the pit at 200°. Like sous vide, it cannot cook any more than the surrounding temperature. I'll probe test it when I get home and raise the temperature to 275° if they are not ready.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Feb 2018
  • Your probably right, I'll leave the pit at 200°. Like sous vide, it cannot cook any more than the surrounding temperature. I'll probe test it when I get home and raise the temperature to 275° if they are not ready.

Good plan...if there is no rush, then don't rush the meat.
  • #4 by triplebq on 28 Feb 2018
  • Funny years ago I didn't wrap anything. I would put a shoulder or butt on with a temp probe and let it go until done. I don't ever remember having a butt dried out. I like the others suggestion of running the pit at a lower temp and let it ride.
  • #5 by hughver on 28 Feb 2018
  • Got back from the Doctor's earlier than I though. Butts were about 175° IT. Turned the temperature up to 300°. ITs now 196-201°, I'll probe/pull shortly and FTC while I cool the juices in the freezer.
  • #6 by dk117 on 28 Feb 2018
  • I'm glad the cook worked out for you.    I might be confusing two different issues, but I think yes a pork butt can be overcooked.   Like sschorr I define this as mushy.

You'll get Hawaiian Kalua pork  I've always found to be mushy.   Same with crock pot and frankly same with most BBQ restaurants.    I've never made mushy pork on the pellet grill.  Then again I don't think I've ever gone more than 205 max IT. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #7 by hughver on 28 Feb 2018
  • Pulled all three, IT's between 201 and 203°. Bones came out clean. [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by triplebq on 28 Feb 2018
  • I'd say they are done. Nice
  • #9 by hughver on 28 Feb 2018
  • For those of you that like lots of bark, this ones for you.  :lick:
  • #10 by SmokinHandyman on 28 Feb 2018
  • Nice job
  • #11 by reubenray on 28 Feb 2018
  • Did you foil them?   I have gone back and forth about foiling or not.  I know I would have some au jus if I foil, but will the meat be any better by foiling.
  • #12 by hughver on 01 Mar 2018
  • Did you foil them?   I have gone back and forth about foiling or not.  I know I would have some au jus if I foil, but will the meat be any better by foiling.

Yes, I put them in foil pans with some apple juice @ 160° IT and covered them until done.
Pages:
Actions