Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Deebo1133 on 01 Mar 2018
  • I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these awesome machines and it looks like you have to buy directly from Mak or...(Admin -- no dealer name's please) .....Is this correct?  Is there a reason or two I should do one or the other. Will I get the same sort of service from Mak if I buy through xxx?  Would I get an additional bit of service and support from xxx if I bought from them as opposed to Mak? Can I get a better deal through either one? Would either one be inclined to give me any sort of discount if I bought accessories right away or if they knew there was one other premium smoker that I am still considering?  Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Mar 2018
  • The only advice I can provide is not to discuss xxx on this forum, and I am not exactly sure why.
  • #3 by rwalters on 01 Mar 2018
  • I have a 2017 2 Star. I bought it before MAK went direct. I scored a bit of a discount on it, but that’s like winning the lottery when it comes to MAK’s. It’s my understanding that this past Black Friday was the 1st time MAK has ever discounted their cookers, and it wasn’t a huge discount (I think it was $200 off a 2 Star).  If I were to buy a 2 Star today, I would go directly through MAK no question about it. I have spoken to the other online retailer and I have walked away every time feeling like I had just woken somebody from a nap (very little enthusiasm or deep working knowledge of their product line). Just my opinion :)
  • #4 by rwalters on 01 Mar 2018
  • I have also been looking very hard at the MAK 2, as well as the Memphis Pro.  If you can hold off, the best time in general to get discounted BBQ equipment is October, just after Labor Day.  Season is over and any possible inventory reduction discount is best then.  Of course, no harm in calling places and see what they offer.
    That may be true for some grills, but I have found MAK and Weber (and a few other premium grills) to hold very hard to their MAP and/or direct sales pricing.  For me, when I see grill manufacturers reducing their prices during certain times of the year, or semi-annual sales, it just cheapens the grill in my eyes. If a grill typically retails for $2000 but over a 3 day weekend it’s slashed by 20%, then why can’t they just always offer at that price? Perhaps my way of thinking is a bit twisted, but I feel better paying a fair non-negotiable price to a reputable company then buying from a company that is “temporarily” slashing their retail price. 
  • #5 by Deebo1133 on 01 Mar 2018
  • I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these awesome machines and it looks like you have to buy directly from Mak or...(Admin -- no dealer name's please) .....Is this correct?  Is there a reason or two I should do one or the other. Will I get the same sort of service from Mak if I buy through xxx?  Would I get an additional bit of service and support from xxx if I bought from them as opposed to Mak? Can I get a better deal through either one? Would either one be inclined to give me any sort of discount if I bought accessories right away or if they knew there was one other premium smoker that I am still considering?  Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies on the dealer name bit, won’t happen again.
  • #6 by Deebo1133 on 01 Mar 2018
  • Please keep the responses coming.
  • #7 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • Thank you.

• #8 by Lantern on 01 Mar 2018
  • I chose to go through the #1 dealer just recently. They offered a layaway plan that worked for me and their accessories are a tiny bit cheaper than directly through MAK. Their customer service has ALWAYS been great to me in the past and I only see having both them and MAK behind my grill as a positive.
    • Lantern
  • #9 by rwalters on 01 Mar 2018
  • Unless manufacturers, in this case either MAK, Memphis or Weber, always build to order, and always have a great business forecasting model that tells them what fairly predictable sales they will have, "sales" and "discounts" play a significant role in moving product.  Factor in Dealers, who keep an inventory on-hand, as well you will get periodic needs to move product.  Building to order certainly allows tighter price and margin control, but the downside is very uneven manufacturing cycles.
    My Weber Summit E450-SS was bought in 2009 from a on-line patio company that gave a 25% discount because they had 2008 models to move.  Full warranty from Weber, and it has been a premier gasser - only issue I ever had was when high winds threw it across our backyard.  called Weber, got the parts, and back in business.

IMHO, shopping around especially "out of season" for a product or when competition is high (Xmas, Black friday, labor Day sales) is very prudent.  If MAK, however, is only direct and has great product pull-through, deals may be very limited.   Or, limited to certain accessories being thrown in to seal a sale.  Again, just my thoguhts on it.
    See, I told you my way of thinking is probably a bit twisted...lol. I’m just weird like that. Do I like a good deal? You better believe I do!!!!
  • #10 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • He is their only dealer now, so pretty easy to be #1, he is still a snake...and I would appreciate you keeping your thoughts about him on this site to yourself or PM's.

And if anyone wants to know why I feel this way, feel free to send me a PM and I will tell you the reason why I still want nothing to do with this person or his business and why his name is not welcome on this site either till he decides to come forward and acknowledge what he did and apologize for it!

I chose to go through the #1 dealer just recently. They offered a layaway plan that worked for me and their accessories are a tiny bit cheaper than directly through MAK. Their customer service has ALWAYS been great to me in the past and I only see having both them and MAK behind my grill as a positive.
  • #11 by Deebo1133 on 01 Mar 2018
  • There is only one dealer that I am aware of.
  • #12 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • Everyone needs to know this...Spend your money where you want, that is none of my business...I just want folks to know why that name nor business in not welcome on this site till they decide to admit to what they did and apologize for it...And that will happen when I weigh 150 pounds!

It is a shame too!  I liked the guy on Pelletheads.com, he was a good contributing member, even offered to help pay for the meat for the 2010 AR...but that is the same time, coincidence I believe, when things went south and he really showed his colors!
  • #13 by Goosehunter51 on 01 Mar 2018

Learned my lesson back on that other site some time back. I believe that was my first time PM’ing with Bentley. 
  • #14 by Deebo1133 on 07 Mar 2018

Learned my lesson back on that other site some time back. I believe that was my first time PM’ing with Bentley. 
  • #15 by Deebo1133 on 07 Mar 2018
  • I would like to add to this thread that I called Mak directly and spoke to Matt(the M in MAK). We had a good 30 minute conversation and he was patient and willing to answer all of my 300 questions and was actually a joy and entertaining to talk to. I called that other place and I really didn't get a very knowledgeable person on the phone and was nowhere near as passionate about the product and really did nothing to sway me to buy that day or really at all for that matter.
Pages:
Actions