Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Would you like a monthly food competition ?

Yes
- 6 (46.2%)
No
- 4 (30.8%)
Don't Care
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Anyone Want a Monthly Food Competition?  (Read 1072 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Does Anyone Want a Monthly Food Competition?
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »

On the one Aussie forum Bent belongs to they do a monthly food competition.  They pick a food -- say hamburger -- and then folks have about a 3 week period to decide what they want to cook and post photos of the cook.  You can decide if you want to show prep, cook, finish or just cook and finish.  You always have to show a shot on the pit and the finished product.  You do get to see a lot of different and great cooks -- and then there is what I have posted on occasion. :o

A poll is used to determine the winner.  They have some sort of blind judging I think, Bent would know.  The prize for winning?  You get to pick the food to be cooked for next month!!  They do all sorts of meats, sides, veggies and desserts.

I know a lot of folks don't like competitions, so that is why I am asking.  I look on it more like a food parade with some inspiring cooks to view

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Does Anyone Want a Monthly Food Competition?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:19:30 AM »

I am less interested in a competition versus the idea.  I like the idea of having a monthly food cook where people can show what they made and how they made it.  I may give others some ideas or push people to cook something that they otherwise may not have tried.  Since it is September 1st, you can pick something to cook for September and we can all get started. ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »

I like no "competition", but do you pick a "winner" each month?  How do you rotate who chooses the food for the month -- a sign up list?

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »

I like the idea!  I do wonder if a picture is worth 1000 taste buds but it sounds like fun
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »

I like no "competition", but do you pick a "winner" each month?  How do you rotate who chooses the food for the month -- a sign up list?

I'm fine with you and Bentley choosing.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »

brethren does throwdowns, and they are fun. Some really good photographers too. It really is inspiring sometimes, and I end up cooking things that I normally wouldn't have before. They have prize sponsors, and give away some pretty valuable items. We are probably too small for that at this time, but something to shoot for. I would be somewhat skeptical of the participation. Brethren is a huge site, and sometimes they will only get 4 to 6 entries. Other times there may be 30. 

I do think for it to be active there most likely has to be something up for grabs other than picking the next category. Even if it's just a bottle of rub or sauce that maybe isn't available widely.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »

I like the idea of a bottle of rub or sauce as a "prize".  Not that I need more to add to my kitchen cabinets, but it is always fun to try regional BBQ stuff.  If I am in a different region of the country, I always try to stop in a grocery store to see if they have any regional rubs or sauces that I may be interested in buying.

Queball

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »

I agree with Bar-B-Lew's earlier idea. I don't think give a ways or a competition are necessary. But people's ideas and preparations would be great to see. Some interesting things are already being posted in the recipe and "How I do it" sections. The minute you say "competition" ... that's when all the XXXX starts!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:37:17 AM by Queball »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »

I thought I voted that I don't care but I didn't see it in the recap so I must have voted No

I used to see them in another site and always read them.  They had some method of randomly selecting a primary component and other things that needed to be included.  It was interesting but I wouldn't participate.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 07:05:34 PM »

Why not just post the winning picture in a best of the best topic and lock it against comments, I'm in a private group that does this.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »

I see you changed your name back.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe
Pages: [1]   Go Up