Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Prices Near You  (Read 10432 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Beef Prices Near You
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »

I was more interested in the dishes it would go in?

i just made a gravy with the juices and served everything over rice with a side salad.I pulled the meat at 203° but it was not fall apart tender so Iput it back in at 300° for another hour, the IT was 209° for that hour. It turned out very tender and moist with virtually all of the fat/connective tissues rendered.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »

Beef over rice with juice or gravy will work!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »

I found a number of recipes posted by Paul here on PF.

If you are looking at just making fall apart pulled beef, take a look at this. The secret I found was the going to an IT of 210 and holding for at least an hour.

I didn't make this up. I read it in someone's blog that I have not been able to find again. It works, though. Before I did that shredding was a chore. Now the beef almost falls apart on its own.

I have now done about 22 chucks this way in the last year and a half.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

urnmor

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2021, 07:44:22 AM »

Ok clearly this thread IMO has been hijacked as it does no longer seen to be about beef prices but more on how to cook beef

dk117

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »

Ok clearly this thread IMO has been hijacked as it does no longer seen to be about beef prices but more on how to cook beef

I have some tri tip from costco.  $9.99 from February (in the freezer at this point) of this year for two.   $15.99 I saw last night.   I was floored.  I did not buy any. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »

I am hoping that is at least USDA Prime?  We are going to Costco next week and I will be very curious what the Choice Tenderloin and Rib Roast is.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »

When I moved to NW Arkansas I moved away from any Costco's.  But in a few weeks I will be going to Gulf Coast Alabama to visit friends.  I plan on taking an ice chest just in case their meat is cheaper than Sam's.  I prefer St. Louis Style ribs and Sam's only has the pre-seasoned one's where Costco has them without seasoning.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »

When I moved to NW Arkansas I moved away from any Costco's.  But in a few weeks I will be going to Gulf Coast Alabama to visit friends.  I plan on taking an ice chest just in case their meat is cheaper than Sam's.  I prefer St. Louis Style ribs and Sam's only has the pre-seasoned one's where Costco has them without seasoning.

You could always buy the spare ribs at Sam's and cut them to STL on your own and use the residual meat on bones and cartilage to pull for some other use - tacos, chili, topping on baked potato, nachos, etc.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »

[/quote]

I have some tri tip from costco.  $9.99 from February (in the freezer at this point) of this year for two.   $15.99 I saw last night.   I was floored.  I did not buy any. 

DK
[/quote]

I was browsing the beef isle for stew meat yesterday and saw choice brisket at $9.99 a pound at Meijer's, (a regional grocery store). I have always found their prices to be middle of the road, but the quality is usually fairly good. My heart skipped a beat from shock and I just kept on moving. I ended up with some bottom round on clearance for $4.99 and chuck roast on sale for $5.25 a pound. I also got a pork roast for $1.99
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »

I bought two prime ribeye roasts from Costco earlier in the year that were butchered into steaks, vacuum packed and frozen.  It was my way of avoiding higher meat prices for at least a while.  The first pack was great.  However, the second pack purchased in April was horrible.  The steaks looked perfectly marbled but were pretty tough.  I would rate them below select.  It must have been from a very old cow.   

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »

Every time this thread pops up and I read the subject line I somehow read it as Beer Prices instead of Beef Prices. :-[
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2021, 04:08:11 PM »

I will really take this thread out of bounds.  Have not bought a 12 pack in 15+ years.  What does a 12 pack of Coors cost now?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2021, 04:12:15 PM »

I will really take this thread out of bounds.  Have not bought a 12 pack in 15+ years.  What does a 12 pack of Coors cost now?

In PA, probably about $15.  I bought a 4pk of 16oz Marzen style beer (Oktoberfest) that was brewed with Snyder's mini pretzels for $16 over the weekend.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2021, 04:21:46 PM »

A buddy of mine who drinks Banquet beer confirmed he pays $23 for a 30pk of 12oz cans.

dk117

« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »

I really don't think we're out of bounds.  If housing is up 20.4% year over year.  Beef prices are up 30% since January.  Take a look at used car values.  Beer prices honestly aren't that bad compared to other items.   The thread can be summed up by massive inflation.   The likes of which we haven't seen since the late '70's / early '80's. 
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up