Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Sep 2021
  • $2.98 here for boneless chuck.

Wow that is a great price.  I couldn't even tell you when I have seen it that low.  Easily 3+ years.  I think they run about $6+/# here right now.  And, I just opened my last bag of pulled beef from the freezer so I need to buy more to make and stock up the freezer again.
  • #77 by Brushpopper on 22 Sep 2021
  • $2.98 here for boneless chuck.

Wow that is a great price.  I couldn't even tell you when I have seen it that low.  Easily 3+ years. 

Same here
  • #78 by Bentley on 22 Sep 2021
  • It is not a National Chain that has it at that price by any chance?
  • #79 by hughver on 22 Sep 2021
  • Safeway/Albertson's
  • #80 by W6YJ on 22 Sep 2021
  • The local Albertsons (Safeway's parent) in Oceanside is selling boneless chuck roast for only $6.99 per pound.

Sigh...
  • #81 by hughver on 23 Sep 2021
  • bought two yesterday, one 3+lbs. and one 5+lbs.Plan to do pulled beef with both. This will be my first attempt at pulled beef. Any suggestion for process would be appreciated.
  • #82 by hughver on 23 Sep 2021
  • I found a number of recipes posted by Paul here on PF.
  • #83 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021
  • I thought I had one in the how to beef section, but apparently not.

I smoke at 250°-275° until about 160° IT.  I then put in a pan with several beers to cover about half of the meat, and foil.  Continue to cook until the meat falls apart easily with two forks.  I pull it apart immediately in the juices and throw in sliced peppers, onions, and mushrooms for about 30-60 minutes.  Pull from grill, pour off excess juices, and start eating.  Unfortunately, it is usually about a 6-8 hour process to get that meat tender.  It probably took 10-12 without foiling in a liquid.  I put the veggies in late in the process now as I have found over the years since I first saw this method on the old site labeled as Pepper Stout Beef that if I put them in early in the liquid the peppers tend to only leave the skin behind.  Putting them in later allows for them to be soft but still have texture.
  • #84 by hughver on 23 Sep 2021
  • Thanks, I saw your previous post during my search, this is the method that I'm going to try.
  • #85 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021
  • I do apply a rub to the meat before putting on the grill.  Sometimes, I may throw the same rub into the final product post shredding and mix it around too.
  • #86 by hughver on 23 Sep 2021
  • I Jacarded the smaller one and applied SPG before putting in the fridge for a tomorrow cook.
  • #87 by Bentley on 23 Sep 2021
  • Have you decided what you will do with the beef after it is cooked, short of eat it?
  • #88 by hughver on 24 Sep 2021
  • Since it's just my wife and I, when I cook more than one meal quantity, we normally refrigerate and repeat the meal one or twice over the next week. I will most likely freeze the second one after cooked.
  • #89 by Bentley on 24 Sep 2021
  • I was more interested in the dishes it would go in?
  • #90 by Clonesmoker on 27 Sep 2021
  • Got a rain check for $2.98 lb brisket from our local Hy-Vee.  Walmart has brisket currently at $4.48 with the sell by date on a few of them at 9/27. May go back tomorrow to see what the price is on them. Nice to have options for lower pricing on brisket.
Pages:
Actions