Pages:
Actions
  • #91 by hughver on 27 Sep 2021
  • I was more interested in the dishes it would go in?

i just made a gravy with the juices and served everything over rice with a side salad.I pulled the meat at 203° but it was not fall apart tender so Iput it back in at 300° for another hour, the IT was 209° for that hour. It turned out very tender and moist with virtually all of the fat/connective tissues rendered.
  • #92 by Bentley on 27 Sep 2021
  • Beef over rice with juice or gravy will work!
  • #93 by Hank D Thoreau on 28 Sep 2021
  • I found a number of recipes posted by Paul here on PF.

If you are looking at just making fall apart pulled beef, take a look at this. The secret I found was the going to an IT of 210 and holding for at least an hour.

I didn't make this up. I read it in someone's blog that I have not been able to find again. It works, though. Before I did that shredding was a chore. Now the beef almost falls apart on its own.

I have now done about 22 chucks this way in the last year and a half.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0
  • #94 by urnmor on 29 Sep 2021
  • Ok clearly this thread IMO has been hijacked as it does no longer seen to be about beef prices but more on how to cook beef
  • #95 by dk117 on 29 Sep 2021
  • Ok clearly this thread IMO has been hijacked as it does no longer seen to be about beef prices but more on how to cook beef

I have some tri tip from costco.  $9.99 from February (in the freezer at this point) of this year for two.   $15.99 I saw last night.   I was floored.  I did not buy any. 

DK
  • #96 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2021
  • I am hoping that is at least USDA Prime?  We are going to Costco next week and I will be very curious what the Choice Tenderloin and Rib Roast is.
  • #97 by reubenray on 29 Sep 2021
  • When I moved to NW Arkansas I moved away from any Costco's.  But in a few weeks I will be going to Gulf Coast Alabama to visit friends.  I plan on taking an ice chest just in case their meat is cheaper than Sam's.  I prefer St. Louis Style ribs and Sam's only has the pre-seasoned one's where Costco has them without seasoning.
  • #98 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Sep 2021
  • When I moved to NW Arkansas I moved away from any Costco's.  But in a few weeks I will be going to Gulf Coast Alabama to visit friends.  I plan on taking an ice chest just in case their meat is cheaper than Sam's.  I prefer St. Louis Style ribs and Sam's only has the pre-seasoned one's where Costco has them without seasoning.

You could always buy the spare ribs at Sam's and cut them to STL on your own and use the residual meat on bones and cartilage to pull for some other use - tacos, chili, topping on baked potato, nachos, etc.
  • #99 by jdmessner on 29 Sep 2021

• [/quote]

I have some tri tip from costco.  $9.99 from February (in the freezer at this point) of this year for two.   $15.99 I saw last night.   I was floored.  I did not buy any. 

DK
    [/quote]

I was browsing the beef isle for stew meat yesterday and saw choice brisket at $9.99 a pound at Meijer's, (a regional grocery store). I have always found their prices to be middle of the road, but the quality is usually fairly good. My heart skipped a beat from shock and I just kept on moving. I ended up with some bottom round on clearance for $4.99 and chuck roast on sale for $5.25 a pound. I also got a pork roast for $1.99
  • #100 by JoeGrilling on 30 Sep 2021
  • I bought two prime ribeye roasts from Costco earlier in the year that were butchered into steaks, vacuum packed and frozen.  It was my way of avoiding higher meat prices for at least a while.  The first pack was great.  However, the second pack purchased in April was horrible.  The steaks looked perfectly marbled but were pretty tough.  I would rate them below select.  It must have been from a very old cow.   
  • #101 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Sep 2021
  • Every time this thread pops up and I read the subject line I somehow read it as Beer Prices instead of Beef Prices. :-[
  • #102 by Bentley on 30 Sep 2021
  • I will really take this thread out of bounds.  Have not bought a 12 pack in 15+ years.  What does a 12 pack of Coors cost now?
  • #103 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Sep 2021
  • I will really take this thread out of bounds.  Have not bought a 12 pack in 15+ years.  What does a 12 pack of Coors cost now?

In PA, probably about $15.  I bought a 4pk of 16oz Marzen style beer (Oktoberfest) that was brewed with Snyder's mini pretzels for $16 over the weekend.
  • #104 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Sep 2021
  • A buddy of mine who drinks Banquet beer confirmed he pays $23 for a 30pk of 12oz cans.
  • #105 by dk117 on 30 Sep 2021
    I really don't think we're out of bounds.  If housing is up 20.4% year over year.  Beef prices are up 30% since January.  Take a look at used car values.  Beer prices honestly aren't that bad compared to other items.   The thread can be summed up by massive inflation.   The likes of which we haven't seen since the late '70's / early '80's. 
Pages:
Actions