Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Chris__M on 26 Feb 2018
  • One of the pizza chains over here - Pizza Hut, I think - used to do a thing called a Sicilian Crust.

It was a rectangular pizza, it looked bready, like that picture, but it was crisp all the way through, and herby as anything.

Although I don't go a bundle on chain pizza joints, I used to love it.

• #32 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Feb 2018
  • I cooked so many round thin crust over the years trying to perfect that type that I got kind of sick of it. The Blackstone kind of rekindled that love affair, but we've came to prefer the thicker crust lately as well.

I'm more and more convinced that cooking pizza at 700F+ in a small space , just isn't very practical...    In my PG500, I've managed one or two pizza's cooked at just above 700F that did 'OK'... , in my GMG Pizza Oven insert, I also managed a couple that were 'OK' when I had it up over 700F...      I've never cooked in a large oven that's really hot, so I can only really guess as to how it works, or how hard it is to do... but it seems to me that the more room you have to work in, the better... and, I also still think that in a real brick/stone oven, the amount of heat retained and radiated by the large domed roof  add a consistency to the process that's just hard to duplicate in a small oven with nothing but a stainless steel roof in it.

But then, I will also say... only real pizza guy I personally know, insists that 550F is the only temperature you need to make a good pizza. ( I guy out of New Jersey , who's family's owned and operated a pizza place since the 70s )

I think it kind of all depends on what type of pizza you are going for. The exact same dough in my Blackstone at 650-700 tastes much much better than in a 550 degree oven for traditional thin crust stone baked pizza. Pan pizzas, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Many local pizza places cook around 500 in large deck ovens on pizza pans. For those type pizzas, that works great. For others, not so much. Large scale, I agree with your thoughts. I do think certain types of pizzas do much better in hotter ovens though. The blackstone does the best I've seen with limited space for home use. Commerical equipment is a whole other discussion to me.
  • #33 by Free Mr. Tony on 03 Mar 2018
  • I've been playing with the uuni today. Not really cooking. Just messing with the fire. I have managed to get it in a sweet spot a few times where it probably would have cooked a nice pizza. I did manage a quesadilla with no soot, and wasn't burnt to a crisp. Started with a smaller fire, cracked the firebox for air, and constant pellet mangagement. I'm going to keep playing.

I said this earlier, but I'll repeat. I think if you can get ahold of the gas attachment, this would be a nice little oven. The fact that it's portable is a major plus, so if you just cook on it without the other stuff it may still be great for someone.
  • #34 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Mar 2018
  • I've been playing with the uuni today. Not really cooking. Just messing with the fire. I have managed to get it in a sweet spot a few times where it probably would have cooked a nice pizza. I did manage a quesadilla with no soot, and wasn't burnt to a crisp. Started with a smaller fire, cracked the firebox for air, and constant pellet mangagement. I'm going to keep playing.

I said this earlier, but I'll repeat. I think if you can get ahold of the gas attachment, this would be a nice little oven. The fact that it's portable is a major plus, so if you just cook on it without the other stuff it may still be great for someone.

Be sure to document your notes for the next winner as it sounds like they will be very useful.  Do you plan any further cooks before the next "raffle"?
  • #35 by Bentley on 03 Mar 2018
  • I guess I would like to cook on a Blackstone!
  • #36 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Mar 2018
  • I guess I would like to cook on a Blackstone!

You can come visit me in April and help me assembly my Camp Chef and cook all you want on it.  I think I have a 10# box of meat for cheesesteaks in the freezer. ;D
  • #37 by Bentley on 04 Mar 2018
  • I was thinking Blackstone Pizza oven, but that griddle/flattop would be fun too!  I may do it, Kristin has wanted to go to Birdsboro to visit the person that got Dexter, the 2nd service puppy she raised...

I guess I would like to cook on a Blackstone!

You can come visit me in April and help me assembly my Camp Chef and cook all you want on it.  I think I have a 10# box of meat for cheesesteaks in the freezer. ;D

• #38 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Mar 2018
  • Birsdboro looks to be an hour south of me.  LMK.  We have two spare bedrooms.
  • #39 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018

Be sure to document your notes for the next winner as it sounds like they will be very useful.  Do you plan any further cooks before the next "raffle"?

I am planning on trying pizza a couple more times. I'm sort of waiting for it to warm up a bit, so I can actually use it outdoors as intended. I've had a make shift hobo camp set up in may garage where I have it sitting on top of an upside down galvanized bucket which is on top of a card table. I've had a couple neighbors ask in a round about way what the heck I was doing in there. It looks crazy, but I like it a lot better raised up high so you don't have to bend at a 90 degree angle to look inside.

• #40 by BigDave83 on 05 Mar 2018
  • Nice set up, I can understand about the not bending over to see in, not that I am tall, just fat. I thought at one time I may want one of these, but now not so much maybe. If I would want something like this I think the Rocbox would be the way I would go. 

Thanks for giving it even more testing.
  • #41 by Bentley on 05 Mar 2018
  • There is a Blackstone Pizza oven right?  Am I thinking of something else?
  • #42 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018

It was actually right next to it in the above photo. I just cropped it. Here is the full photo.

• #43 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018

Yes there is one. I’ve had one for about 2 years. Selling it actually (they do work quite well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What are you going to instead? I've been pondering wood ovens for years, but never bit. I have this hope to one day build one in the house, so I've put off buying one for outdoor. I just think I would get exponentially more use out of it if it was in my kitchen, as opposed to outdoors.  I'd really like one with enough residual heat to cook bread and roasts the next day after firing.
Pages:
Actions