Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Backs on the Elite - March '18  (Read 844 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Baby Backs on the Elite - March '18
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »

I was inspired by others who have recently purchased a Memphis Elite and were sharing their cooks.  So, I decided to pull some items out of the freezer and get them on the grill today.  Grill set temp is 275°.  Currently, sunny and 45° with 15 mph sustained winds and gusts 20-25 mph.

Baby Backs about 1 hour into the cook.  I believe these were from Restaurant Depot and were about 8.5# for the 3 racks.  I had thawed them in water this morning.  They were very cold when they were rubbed with Cabela's Pecan Honey and Maple Bacon Bourbon Chipotle rubs.  Had enough to finish off what was left in the two containers on the 3 racks.

Johnsonville Grillers I had in the freezer for quite some time.  Will see how they turn out as I have never had them before.  I think I bought them at Sam's last year. They were added to the grill with the ribs (6 patties) about 1.5 hours into the rib cook at 275°

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Baby Backs on the Elite - March '18
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »

Johnsonville Grillers pulled after about 1 hour at 275°.  They were OK and got better dipped into BBQ sauce.  I probably will not buy them again as I think I would make my own next time.  If you wanted something different than a beef patty, I would give these a try if I were you if you get them for a good price.  Not out of this world great, but something different.  Sorta like a really firm sausage.

Baby Back Ribs about 2.5 hours into the cook.  I am using Camp Chef cherry on one side of the pellet hopper and cookinpellets in the other side
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »

Cherry wood puts a dark color on the exterior as expected

Chipotle Rub - first time I have used this on rib's...it has a nice kick and chipotle smokey taste

Pecan Honey - I have used this plenty of times before as it is a nice sweet flavor that my wife likes

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »

Oh man, someone’s gonna be fat-n-happy tonight...food fit for a king right there! Nicely done :)

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »

You really make those Cabelas rubs sound tasty. I'm gonna have to stop and get some.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »

You really make those Cabelas rubs sound tasty. I'm gonna have to stop and get some.

They are $10 a bottle so they are not cheap.  Sometime they have them on sale for $8.  But, I have liked most that I have used.  The Maple Jalapeno may be my favorite.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »

Search Cabela's Open Season...they sell them online.
Pages: [1]   Go Up