Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by wahoowad on 04 Mar 2018
  • Hi folks,

New Camp Chef Woodwind owner here. Also a first time pellet grill owner (but long term WSM and propane smoker owner) and could use a little guidance.

My Woodwind arrived last week and I used it Thursday (ribeye), Friday (brisket) and Saturday (ribs). I did not pay attention to temps during the high heat reverse sear on the ribeye, but both my brisket and rib cooks displayed what feels like significant and constant temperature swings throughout the cook. For example:

Set temp @ 275 ranged from 233 to 311 (+/- 36/42)
       Set temp @ 250 ranged from 219 to 305 (+/- 55/31)

The set temp was never changed - these swings were due to the unit trying to maintain temp. I am using Camp Chef pellets and everything in the unit otherwise seems functional. I kept the hopper 50% to 75% full. Air temps were mid 40's and 50's.

I was not sitting there watching this thing, these were noticed while checking on it every hour or so. Rarely was it hovering +/- 10 degrees, it always seemed like it was recovering from one of these spikes or crashes at closer to the extremes that at the midpoint.

Trying to run 275 on brisket cook:

Trying to run 250 on a different cook

Additionally, It was producing thick smoke every 5 to 10 minutes as it recovered from a low crash.  The brisket flavor is…unrecognizable? I think it is because of that excess pellet smoke.

The overall features and quality of the grill seem nice, but my #1 goal with buying a pellet smoker was temp control so am feeling a little frustrated right now.  I see some insisting the average temp is all that matters but something seems wrong if it is spending most of its time outside the 10 or 15 degree temp spec. Is this all internal to the controller or are there things I should check?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Mar 2018
  • Seems a bit extreme to me, but I have never seen this grill.  I would call Camp Chef to get their thoughts.  I know Bentley did a performance test of this unit last Fall and I don't think he had similar issues.  He may chime in on this.
  • #3 by rwalters on 04 Mar 2018
  • Ditto^^^
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Mar 2018
  • If you look at Bentley's performance test you will see a graph re a temp test he ran -- one hour at 225.  Temp swings in that hour ranged from about 195 to about 250.

Did you have any wind?
  • #5 by Bentley on 04 Mar 2018
  • Wish I could help, as the Tappecue graph shows, I just did not experience swings like you are seeing.  Wind would be the 1st thing I would think, but looking at your pictures, I would say it was a still day!  I have no idea why it is doing it.  Real long shot, but you could try different pellet, but that is about a 1 in 10000 chance!
  • #6 by wahoowad on 04 Mar 2018
  • Thanks everybody! I will contact CC Monday for sure.

Yes, a little wind at one point but my temp swings continued after it stopped. Then same for day 2 when there was negligible wind.

How do I measure the chimney cap? The instructions confused me on how to set the height of the nut that stops it. I currently have it where the factory set it.

Lid seems to have an even gap, looks good. No other gaps that I have seen.
  • #7 by pdf256 on 04 Mar 2018
  • I got my Woodwind last August.  In using it two or three times a week over the last six months, I don't see the swings that you are getting.  I am in Southern California so it is a bit warmer here, but my swings are more like +/- 20'.

It looks like the knob on the controller has changed a bit from when I got mine.

Good luck.

• #8 by Andygev35 on 05 Mar 2018
  • It almost seems like you're getting mini flame-outs. The thick smoke usually comes from a lot of pellets being dumped into the burn pot. They'll smoke like crazy then light up and cause a temperature spike. That spike can then cause a flame out. It's a vicious circle that can often be attributed to substandard pellets, but can also be a controller issue. What brand of pellets were you using?
  • #9 by wahoowad on 05 Mar 2018
  • I was using Camp Chef Competition blend pellets
  • #10 by Andygev35 on 05 Mar 2018
  • I'm currently using SmokePro (Camp Chef) Cherry pellets and haven't had any flame-out issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you or someone else won't. They're of decent quality.  Not the best, but certainly not the worst performers.  I'd lean more towards a controller issue as others have stated then.
  • #11 by wahoowad on 06 Mar 2018
  • CC sending me a new controller
  • #12 by glitchy on 06 Mar 2018
  • Hope that fixes it for you!
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Mar 2018
  • CC sending me a new controller

If you don't need to send the "defective" one back, hold onto it.  You never know when you need an emergency backup.
  • #14 by wahoowad on 10 Mar 2018
  • Whew! Can’t wait for my replacement controller. After letting it sit idle all week I decided to smoke a forgiving pork butt that could better endure temp swings. Or at least that’s what I told myself so I could play with my new toy!

Tonight I went with a setting of 225. I am not sure why I expected anything different but still uncomfortable to see it spiking and crashing. I’ve glanced out the door some while watching tournament basketball and seen it at 278 (+53) and 181 (-44). That new controller better bring this thing into spec.
  • #15 by glitchy on 10 Mar 2018
  • Unless it causes excessive soot, the pork will probably taste fine. I own a Traeger, so I’ve seen those kinds of swings while learning to tune in the p settings. You might try 250 or 275 and see if higher temps are more stable.
Pages:
Actions