Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018
  • Someone posted this on a different site. I just ordered one.  Figured for 49 dollars it's worth having around for a few things.

https://meh.com/deals/chefman-sous-vide-circulator
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for helping me spend $55.  Worth giving it a shot for that price.  If the Anovo has more features then maybe I will upgrade to that later.  Thanks for sharing.
  • #3 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for helping me spend $55.  Worth giving it a shot for that price.  If the Anovo has more features then maybe I will upgrade to that later.  Thanks for sharing.

It looks similar to the anova for the most part aside from the clip like the other reply mentioned. Most of the upgrade of an anova would be wifi, Bluetooth, and app related functions. I really don't see the benefits of that on a device like this, but obviously others do. My hunch is that if this works well, it will be all you ever need.
    Good price.  The caveat I see is the clip-style clamp, which limits both the type of container you attach it to, but also the depth.  The Anova and Sous Vide Supreme use a screw clamp that can also adjust depth, so if you have a pot or container that has a sizable lip, the screw style clamp will handle that while the clip style could be a challenge. 

I noticed that. I could probably rig something up if I really want it to work on a cooler or whatever, but I'll probably just go to a restaurant supply store and get a cambro container.

When I had the anova I used a firehouse subs pickle bucket. It worked ok except the food bags would get sort of sucked up to the circulator because there wasn't a ton of room to swirl around for it.
  • #4 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018
  • And the award for "most awkward and confusing image for introduction of sous vide cooking" goes to:

What in the world is she doing here?
  • #5 by Bentley on 05 Mar 2018
  • Probable used to keep breast milk or formula at a precise temperature...
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018
  • Geez,  just before my colonoscopy....

She definitely looks more than a little too eager to perform that procedure to me. I'd keep looking for a doctor.
  • #7 by GREG-B on 05 Mar 2018
  • Just before putting me out for my most recent colonoscopy, I mentioned to the Dr that in some societies we would be considered engaged when we're done.   He said if I wake up in a white dress, don't ask any questions. :P. Oh and I just ordered one of these.
  • #8 by Bentley on 05 Mar 2018
  • Am I one of the few who does not get knocked out to have this done?
  • #9 by ylr on 05 Mar 2018
  • Am I one of the few who does not get knocked out to have this done?

Is that even an option?
  • #10 by jstrand on 05 Mar 2018
  • My dad doesnt get knocked out. I told him thats because he enjoys it.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Mar 2018
  • Can you guys start your own thread instead of messing up FMT's notice of a great deal. ;D
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018
  • Can you guys start your own thread instead of messing up FMT's notice of a great deal. ;D

Haha. I guess I sort of started by posting the strange doctor lady oddly holding what she obviously sees as a "foreign obiect".
  • #13 by Free Mr. Tony on 05 Mar 2018
  • Pelletfan is more popular than Instagram on at least one site. They keep track of where the clicks come from, and we are beating out a few sites.

• #14 by bregent on 05 Mar 2018
  • I occasionally like to start a cook midday while I'm at work, so the Wifi is handy for that. Most of the time I just run in manual mode.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Mar 2018
  • what type of bags do you guys use for your cooking?
Pages:
Actions