Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The March 7th Cook Begins  (Read 1061 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
The March 7th Cook Begins
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

A case (96lbs.) of USDA Choice Superior Angus, Eye of round at $2.89/lb. from RD. 

Does not look like the sous vide will be here in time...I was gonna experiment with these 4.  I may see if the <5lber. will fit in the crock pot.  I know it keeps a constant 140°, so that would be a nice Medium and not ruin the meat.  Then a quick weed burner, pan, or Memphis sear to finish!  I am going to do the other 3 in the Memphis and cook them at 180° till they hit 120° then pull them (anyone care to guess how long that will take).  The reheat on serving day will finish them off!  With this crowd, 90% will have them swimming in gravy, so color wont matter!

So, for you sous vide guys that see this...how long for appx 5lb piece of meat (it is that one on top and that pan is 19 inches long) that is roughly 5 inches round and 13 inches long?  H many hours am I looking at?

On to the next one on March 7.  Luckily only cooking for 50 but it is roast beef...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: The March 7th Cook Begins
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm guessing 3 hours to get to 120° with the pit at 180°.  Will sure have a nice smoke flavor on them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »

Wish I could help but I have not graduated yet to the bigger cuts. Only shrimp, 1 1/2 smoked chops and leg quarters and breasts.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »

Will be doing it in the crock pot, so have no control over the temperature, the warm setting is a constant 140°, so it will not be the temperature I would like it at, but it will still be Medium!  Thanks for the response.  If it is that short a period of time I will just start it Monday night before I go to bed!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »

I guess I will sear the sous vide before the soak and also sear one of the Memphis ones before the cook.  Then sear the other 2 after the cook and see if I have a preference!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »

Thanks to pmillin I got ahold of some sous vide charts for cooking times.  The one says "tough" roast should go 12-48 hours with them saying sweet spot is 24 hours.  So into the water under vac seal went the Eye of Round went in the 140° crock pot, we will see tomorrow night how it comes out.  And tomorrow I will also take another one, sear 1st and then cook on the Memphis at 180° till an IT of 130°!

And I was going to say which ever method works best I will use, but the remaining 2 will be to big to go in crock post so we will hope the Memphis plan works the best!    :pig:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »

For those that like some data and number like me for future cooks...They both went on the unit at an IT of 40°.  The Memphis was set at 550° to brown them.  5 minute on each side, and after the 1st 5 minutes the pit was turned to 180° and the meat flipped.  90 minutes in I just checked checked them, little one 99°, big one 86°...Its an episode of Get Smart!  I am gonna assume 3rd one is about 92°!

Will pull them when they get to 130° and try and decide if they need to be seared.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:50:30 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »

Took about 4 1/2 hours for the 3 to get to 110°.  Pulled the SV after 20 hours. I pulled them there and then seared them for 20 minutes on 3 sides at 650°, they ended up at just shy of 125°.  Fridge tonight, they will be sliced Weds morning.  To me the sous vide is the best for texture, and when we do the cook of roast beef for the March 23rd dinner, I believe I will do all of them that way!  What I will do differently is I will sous vide till 100°, smoke for a couple of hours till 130° IT, then sear finish!

1st photo is SV, 2nd is 3 Eyes after the smoked, 3rd is seared smoked Eye and 4th is all 4 finished, SV on far left.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »

We are finished with this cook.  The serving line right before folks started dishing up and the dessert line.  We only have to do dishes on March 17, so an easy night.  Next big cook -- March 22 and it may be for as many as 200.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:47:02 PM by Kristin Meredith »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »

Is March just a special time of year where there are a lot of these meals?  I doesn't seem like there have been other months with as frequent cooks by you for these events.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »

March, April and May are when all the business that have used us year after year seem to want their either annual dinners, or dinners to promote the newest silage, insecticide or new seed!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »

I'd eat there!  That's a terrific buffet line.

Were you and Kristin pleased with the results?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »

All the sides and rolls were wonderful. 

The reheated beef, got much better when gravy was applied!  I mean, Eye of Round...I swear there was zero marbling fat, but it is supposed to be that way.  It was a far cry from the Restaurant Depot deals we got last year on the Rib Roast, hard to compete with.  And I felt I nailed the original cook, you cant really tell it by those pictures, but most of those roast were under 135°IT.  The folks who sliced them, they just gushed over them...but man, reheating them made them tough in my opinion.  Not a bad, I can't chew this piece of steak tough, but more so then before reheating.  That beautiful medium rare roast beef sandwich, as opposed to the reheated, medium well shoe leather!  That is why I ask the slicing folks to use number 8 setting on the VFD Hobart slicer, hard to have to tough a piece of meat when it is 1/8" thick!

And 2 lessons I learned.  1st I added the Butt Jello to the Green Beans before heating and serving, great idea.  I also used the fat layer that is on top of the Butt Jello for the fat for my gravy roux, bad idea, the other volunteer's loved it, but it tasted like bean with bacon soup to me.  And it did not taste that way when it was 1st made in the morning!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »

I thought the beef was good and not too tough for eye of round.  We do almost the same cook again on March 22, just on a larger scale.  I think we should put the meat in the heating ovens at about 145 and see where they are after 6 hours.  I think having to heat it at higher heat during the last hour contributed to some "toughness".

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »

I smile when I read these results.  I guess I'm pleased and I wasn't even there.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up