Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous vide deal  (Read 3044 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Sous vide deal
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »

FMT you made someone some money today!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 10:26:32 PM »

Yes.  I had a local for my carpel tunnel surgery too!  Just do not want to go under unless they say they won't do it with a local...I just don't trust not waking up!

Am I one of the few who does not get knocked out to have this done?

Is that even an option?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:18 PM »

I just use my vac seal bags.  Once I remembered back to my 4 years of French 1...I realized that it means under vacuum...

what type of bags do you guys use for your cooking?

Plant175

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »

Ok I had a tooth out today after encountering some problems and my feet were almost to the ceiling I wished I was knocked out. Ok back to this machine which I find fascinating how could you put your food in water in the morning go to work and start it before coming home ? Wouldn’t it be spoiled sitting out all day ? Forgive my stupidity or maybe it’s the Vik pills I’m taking for my tooth.

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »

Wanted a Sous Vide but wasn't sure if I'd use it. Bought one of these.  At this price it can sit if I didn't like it. Pun intended. Ouch !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »

Just got the email that my order shipped.  I hope I don't really like this and wish I should have ordered more than one. ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »

Just got the email that my order shipped.  I hope I don't really like this and wish I should have ordered more than one. ;D
Yeah. If I like this I'm going to try age my own beef.  I'll convert a wine fridge into a meat locker

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »

I responded like I cook sous vide...not sue cooking in a crock pot full of water is the same, although it seems like it!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »

I responded like I cook sous vide...not sue cooking in a crock pot full of water is the same, although it seems like it!

Have you been placing a probe in the water in your crock pot to track the temp as it seems you knew that the water temp was consistent at the low setting in your crock pot?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »

Just left it on for a couple of hours and then checked it a few times with the ThermaPen.  It stayed a very constant 140°.  Although I posted about the temps in the March 7th cook thread.  I can see why circulation and size of cut make a huge difference.  Not thinking about theses things, I put that 5lb. Eye of Round in the Crock Pot, with hot water from the faucet, about 125° at about 8pm.  Checked it at 10:30 just assuming it would be 140°, it was 113°.  I say, ahh, this piece of meat was cold and I should have started with hotter water.  So I dump out water and put in 160° water and go to bed.  Wake up in morning and check temp, it is 135°...

Meat was in the water for 20 hours and came out beautiful...Pretty sure I will cook the 75lbs of remaining Eye of Round this way, then about 3 hours on the Memphis, then a nice 10 minute sear to finish at 650°.  The folks who sliced it today seemed to think it came out pretty good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »

Sounds like you need a big cooler and a sous vide gadget for your bigger cooks for the town gatherings and fund raisers.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 02:30:40 PM »

Getting ready to cut a hole in that 48Qt Coleman as soon as the device gets here!  Will see how well it holds temperature with 4 gallons in it, and how much water circulation goes on!  Will also see how many pounds of beef can realistically be cooked if they start at close to room temperature.  I would venture to guess 20-25lbs will be a stretch at one time.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »

Ok I had a tooth out today after encountering some problems and my feet were almost to the ceiling I wished I was knocked out. Ok back to this machine which I find fascinating how could you put your food in water in the morning go to work and start it before coming home ? Wouldn’t it be spoiled sitting out all day ? Forgive my stupidity or maybe it’s the Vik pills I’m taking for my tooth.

No, it's actually a good question. What you do is make an ice water bath for the food. You fill the sous vide container with 50% ice, and 50% cold water, and then put the vac sealed food into it. I  typically am using vac sealed food that is frozen as well.  The Anova has an ice bath mode, which runs the circulating pump every few minutes to keep the water mixed. It also monitors the temp and if it gets above 40F, sends you an alert to start cooking. If you use an insulated container it will probably stay cold enough for days. With a simple plastic container with a lid and a few towels wrapped around it, it's good for at least 8 hours.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »

No, it's actually a good question. What you do is make an ice water bath for the food. You fill the sous vide container with 50% ice, and 50% cold water, and then put the vac sealed food into it. I  typically am using vac sealed food that is frozen as well.  The Anova has an ice bath mode, which runs the circulating pump every few minutes to keep the water mixed. It also monitors the temp and if it gets above 40F, sends you an alert to start cooking. If you use an insulated container it will probably stay cold enough for days. With a simple plastic container with a lid and a few towels wrapped around it, it's good for at least 8 hours.
I just bought one and didn’t know that, thanks Bregent, I have a problem with reading instruction manuals. I was thinking along those lines though, frozen foods and into the container. Would easily be safe for a few hours prior to the warm up.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 12:35:41 PM »

Getting ready to cut a hole in that 48Qt Coleman as soon as the device gets here!  Will see how well it holds temperature with 4 gallons in it, and how much water circulation goes on!  Will also see how many pounds of beef can realistically be cooked if they start at close to room temperature.  I would venture to guess 20-25lbs will be a stretch at one time.

FWIW - Most, if not all, portable sous vide machines have a min. and max. water level requirement. If your cooler is too big, you will have to add enough water to reach the min. level. For my 32 qt. cooler, min. is about 3-4" off of the bottom and requires ~16 quarts to reach. Taller coolers will require more. I normally fill mine to the midway point which is ~24-26 quarts. My 800W Anova has no problem keeping the temperature at 140°. So far I've only cooked brisket in the cooler and I cook at 132° for 48-54 hours. As I've noted before, I separate the point from the flat and trim off all visible fat before smoking. I smoke at 150-160° and vacuum pack at an IT of ~120°.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up