Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2018
  • At what temperature(s)?

Don't forget left and right, top and bottom, and middle grate temps to test temp differences.

Run at 150° for 30 minutes (jerky), then go to 250° for another 30 (pork shoulder, brisket, ribs) and 350° for another 30 (wings).  I am OK if you go with 15 minute intervals. I just want there to be enough time for the grill to settle at the temp before testing.  I am also OK if you have something with multiple probes that you can just keep running with a graph.  Whatever is practical for you to do with your equipment.  Items in () are things that I would personally use those temp settings for so that is why they would interest me.  I am not asking you to cook each of those items during grill grate test.  I would like the jerky and wing cook performances that I recommended earlier though.
  • #47 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2018
  • Anyone have any issue if I use hardwood heating pellets for the testing?
  • #48 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2018
  • I don't as it will save money as long as all test are done with the same pellets then there is at least consistency.  If they are good enough for your Memphis, they should be good enough for this grill.
  • #49 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2018
  • I don't have them, will go see if Lowes still has any.  I don't want to burn my cooking pellets up!
  • #50 by W6YJ on 08 Mar 2018
  • Bentley,

Totally understandable.

Why not order a bag and add the cost to the overall raffle total.

I was kind of surprised that HD will ship them to your place for free (whoops on their part) - if you don't have one near by....

According to their web page they carry four different brands, all with free delivery.

Ed
  • #51 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2018
  • I got 80lbs, for $10.53, even as cheap as I am, I will donate that to the cause!
  • #52 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2018
  • I got 80lbs, for $10.53, even as cheap as I am, I will donate that to the cause!

that is enough to fill the 60# hopper
  • #53 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Mar 2018
  • LAST WARNING !!!!!!

Look at Bentley's list about what will be cooked.  If you want something else, speak now or forever hold your peace.  We are only cooking what folks ask for before we post the final price and rules for purchase.  If you don't ask for it in this thread by Sunday night IT AIN"T GOING TO GET COOKED.

On Sunday night, I will determine a final cost and then post the rules for the contest.  The rules will stay posted until next Saturday morning so that folks all have a chance to see them and know what they are and when entries will be accepted.  Starting next Sat morning, March 17 -- St. Patrick's Day -- we will start allowing the purchase of tickets.

I believe this system will provide notice to the vast majority of our members so that they will have the time and opportunity to purchase a ticket if they wish.
  • #54 by reubenray on 09 Mar 2018
  • Fish!

My wife grew up eating smoked whiting in Wisconsin.  We live in South Alabama now and I know I cannot get that down here or if you can get it where you are at.  Any type of fish would do.
  • #55 by Free Mr. Tony on 09 Mar 2018
  • A few graphs of smoking temps over an hour or so at say 250. Just curious how well that controller stays in a range.

If you have some fresh linked sausage to hang, I would like to see something rigged up for hanging. I wouldn't expect you to make a batch of sausage just for that though.
  • #56 by jdmessner on 09 Mar 2018
  • I am getting hungry looking at this list. I concur with what has been posted to cook, there is a lot of thought behind what was selected and why. I do think it is a good idea to add the cost of meat and pellets to the overall total. Hardwood pellets have become my pellet of choice and to donate the food to the fire department is a great idea. I liked the way the ticket distribution was set up last time with an initial opportunity to buy in, with other rounds as needed. Thanks for pulling this together, looking forward to the results.
  • #57 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Mar 2018
  • So far the only thing that will need to be donated is the ribs, Bent or I will eat all the other things listed so I am not charging folks for things we will consume.  But that is why I need to know if there are other things to be tested that we won't eat, like pork butt or brisket.
  • #58 by Bentley on 09 Mar 2018
  • Doubt I will be able to find it in Mayberry either.  A 2nd more common choice if you would?  How would you like it smoked?  To time, color, temperature?  Would you like it brined in any thing?

Fish!

My wife grew up eating smoked whiting in Wisconsin.  Any type of fish would do.
  • #59 by Bentley on 09 Mar 2018
  • Food to Cook.
    Sausage cooked at 250° on top rack.
    Cheese smoked at 150° w/ice pans.  (Pretty sure this is going to be a quick fail...but we aim to please.)
    Beef Trail Bologna.
    Wings.
    Whole Chicken
    Thighs
    Rack of Ribs.
    Smoke Cured Pork Belly.
    Smoked Whiting fish. (Will probably not be able to find in Mayberry)
    Smoke Fresh Linked Sausage.

Performance Tests.
    Temperature tests at 150°, 250°, and 350°
    Graphs of smoking temps over an hour at 250°.
    Left and right, top and bottom, and middle grate temps tests.

• #60 by Bentley on 09 Mar 2018
  • Again, how would you like it smoked?  To time, temperature, etc...Any particular temperature or technique?

If you have some fresh linked sausage to hang.
Pages:
Actions