Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by glitchy on 06 Mar 2018
  • I don’t know if it will be tomorrow, a few months or a couple years from now, but I’m really starting to dig the Memphis pits. I have too many grills (Traeger Texas, Weber Spirit, Kettle and Performer) and am thinking about cutting down to the performer and a Memphis. So, I have a few questions in case the right deal pops up.

Does anyone have a hands on with both the Advantage and Pro? Is the Pro really worth $800 more? It looks like prices jumped quite a chunk 3-4 years ago on both. If you bought before the jump, would you pay $1000 more now if you didn’t have yours anymore? Does the 50 degrees matter?

I live in central Iowa, it gets cold and I cook in the winter maybe more than the summer. I want to be able to grill as well as smoke. My Traeger struggles to get to or over 400 and honestly I don’t even get my charcoal above 600 that often by the lid thermometer?

Is there anywhere that offers any deals on Memphis grills? I found only one local dealer and all they had assembled was an Elite. It was awesome, but I cannot fathom five G’s for a grill. They said they ‘have’ to sell at Memphis pricing. They have a Pro to put on the showroom floor, but they don’t keep Advantage grills to show, so I cannot compare directly myself.

Basically, I want to be ready in case a sale does happen or I happen to win the lottery and stumble upon a demo or used Memphis. I’m thinking I might be happy with the Advantage Plus (want the doors), but I don’t want to regret not saving a little longer if the Pro is really that much better. One little thing I cannot see in pics anywhere are tool hooks on the Advantage?
  • #2 by glitchy on 06 Mar 2018
  • I downloaded the manual from Memphis and found the Advantage tool hooks that hang under the shelf...I figure there had to be some somewhere. Next silly question, how many grease trays do the new model Advantage and Pro have? The elite I looked at had 3, but I cannot see or find pics for either model to confirm. I just found the Advantage is 8x8 and the Pro is 9x13. Is there any reason it matters at all how many or the size? Anyone ever overflow one in a couple cooks?

Who has an Advantage? Is there anything you don't like about it that would be solved with a Pro?
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Mar 2018
  • ZCZ may have started with an Advantage and then moved on to the Pro, you may want to PM him.  I think Trooper has an Advantage, but I think he has cooked on a Pro, so you may want to pm him also.
  • #4 by Bentley on 06 Mar 2018
  • I believe he started with the Select, which is no longer manufactured.
  • #5 by Bentley on 06 Mar 2018
  • No. Yes/No*  One reason might be aesthetics.
    For me and my grilling No.
    *It might depending on how much pellets cost you and the amount of cooking you do with your winters.  It might pay for itself in 5 years.
    You will be able to.

Does anyone have a hands on with both the Advantage and Pro? Is the Pro really worth $800 more?
    Does the 50 degrees matter?
    I live in central Iowa, it gets cold and I cook in the winter maybe more than the summer.
    I want to be able to grill as well as smoke.
  • #6 by glitchy on 06 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for the feedback Bentley and the references Kristin. I'll reach out to ZCZ and Trooper if they don't post something here in the next day or two.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 06 Mar 2018
  • I downloaded the manual from Memphis and found the Advantage tool hooks that hang under the shelf...I figure there had to be some somewhere. Next silly question, how many grease trays do the new model Advantage and Pro have? The elite I looked at had 3, but I cannot see or find pics for either model to confirm. I just found the Advantage is 8x8 and the Pro is 9x13. Is there any reason it matters at all how many or the size? Anyone ever overflow one in a couple cooks?

Who has an Advantage? Is there anything you don't like about it that would be solved with a Pro?
    Pro here. It has two 9 x 13" trays. They take time to fill - a lot of time..Ash mixes w/ the drippings in the pans that makes them easy to scrape out..Aluminum disposable pans come with the pit...Some of us have gone to more durable steel pans..The pans are sized to fit the openings so the proper size is required.If only one is used when two are required, there will be a mess.
  • #8 by bten on 05 Jun 2018
  • I think the elite is 430SS and the pro is 304SS
  • #9 by glitchy on 05 Jun 2018
  • I think the elite is 430SS and the pro is 304SS

Actually, I think that’s inverted, 304 is the better stainless I think. The ‘default’ Pro is 430, but you can order the Pro in 304SS as well and at least the lid on the 430 model is still 304. A magnet will not stick to it but will on the side shelves.
Pages:
Actions