Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian Pellets -  (Read 3388 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Canadian Pellets -
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »

As we know food grade pellets here are well over $1/LB + tax, 13 % in Ontario. That is costly, too costly for a lot of us.

I searched heating pellets and found some contained soft wood(s). I was after a 100% hardwood pellet made from new wood. Not containing pallets or construction debris etc..This has led me to following:

-"Gildale Farms", St. Marys, On.  Manufacture several grades of pellets. Only one being a premium hardwood blend..I have been using them for several years without incident. $5.50/40LBS... Wood is: oak, maple, cherry and walnut. Sawdust sourced from a  flooring manufacturer.  Specs:Ash, under 1%. Moisture, 5 to 7%. Btu 8,000/LB

-"Lauzon",Quebec. Has several brands. All the brands contain the same product..The brand variation is a marketing tool developed for retailers so they aren't competing selling the same brands. Some of their brands include: Cubex, Northern Max, Comfort Plus, and Elite. Elite is exclusive to Canadian Tire. The Lauzon brands are sold in the US as well. The wood that is sourced from its own hardwood flooring mill is; oak, hard maple, yellow birch and some beech and hickory. They have a vested interest in producing a high end pellet. $5.99 plus tax/40LBS..
 Exceptional specs: [ Invalid Attachment ] .

Both these pellet manufacturers are easily contacted and prompt to reply to the most demanding questions I have put forth.

A problem using heating pellets is sourcing. They are not generally stocked or sold when we need them = stock-up.

I opened two bags of the Elite and sifted them..The fines and small pellet pieces produced 2 to 3 ounces.. And per their specs, no long pellets.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:50:43 PM by Canadian John »

Canadian John

Re: Canadian Pellets -
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »

The attachment for the specs didn't make it.
Pellet Standards

Lauzon                                                        Industry Standard

<.3%                     FINES                                 < .5%

1/4"                       DIAMETER                           1/4" to 5/16"

1/4" to 1"               LENGTH                               Less than 1 1/2"

Less than .4%        INORGANIC ASH                   Less than 1%

Less than .2%         DUST                                        Not listed

Greater than 9,000  BTU/LB                                Average 8,000
 Copied from their website.         

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:27:57 PM by Canadian John »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »

I have heard of the Cubex name before. Probably on the pellet stove forum I belong to. I also use heating pellets, my heating pellet of choice is Hamers Hot Ones another hardwood flooring company, primarily and Oak pellet, and they are not long, probably both have to due with less volume in the bags than the others I use for heating.

garysam

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »

Thanks for the info, John. I live in Ontario and I know the ridiculous price for BBQ pellets. I'm looking at the Gildale farms site as I type and they guarantee zero additives. The 5 - 7% moisture seems fine so I guess the only unknown is the smoke taste and I can't see it being too much of a concern. I know everyone has their favorite but how much is just brand loyalty? I've used a lot of different smoking woods and the smoke smells different, but the food turns out pretty much the same.  :bbq:

Canadian John

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »

If you go to Gildale, call first just to be sure they will be there and have product. I have never had issues with either... I found them to be very up front about their product and have answered the questions posed to them with the right answers...

I find the smoke smell pleasant...The smoke taste is nice and not overpowering - You won't go wrong using Gildale Premium Hardwood pellets.

Just curious as to your location ? You can PM me if you prefer. Either way, no answer required.

acguy

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »

Just want to second Canadian John's review of Gildale Farms. I have been using their pellets for 4 years now and have zero issues. I am happy with the smoke they produce and the ash content seems reasonable to me after using Traeger and a couple of other brands. I usually do a group buy with a few guys at work so if you are in the GTA let me know if you are interested.
A skid of 50 bags delivered was $334 last year. Hard to beat.

Canadian John

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »

Just want to second Canadian John's review of Gildale Farms. I have been using their pellets for 4 years now and have zero issues. I am happy with the smoke they produce and the ash content seems reasonable to me after using Traeger and a couple of other brands. I usually do a group buy with a few guys at work so if you are in the GTA let me know if you are interested.
Doing the math, that is $6.68/bag, or $.13/LB. Yes it's hard to beat..Fits right in there with the good deals our neighbours to the South get..Their pricing hasn't changed in years either.

canugghead

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »

Just want to second Canadian John's review of Gildale Farms. I have been using their pellets for 4 years now and have zero issues. I am happy with the smoke they produce and the ash content seems reasonable to me after using Traeger and a couple of other brands. I usually do a group buy with a few guys at work so if you are in the GTA let me know if you are interested
Hi there, I'm in GTA. Heard good feedback on Gildale premium pellets and always wanted to try.  Would love to join in a group buy (about 15 bags) if there's one in the works. Otherwise it'll be great if you can spare a couple of bags? TIA

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »

Welcome on your first post canugghead.

If Gildale pellets prove to be hard to get, Canadian Tire has "ELETE" pellets that are a premium all hardwood, high BTU, low ash pellet. They are an excellent pellet..A note on pricing - pellet pricing has finally

gone up after years of stagnation. It's about $.30/40LB bag.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:38:36 AM by Canadian John »

canugghead

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »

Welcome on your first postcanugghead.

If Gildale pellets prove to be hard to get, Canadian Tire has "ELETE" pellets that are a premium all hardwood, high BTU, low ash pellet. They are an excellent pellet..A note on pricing - pellet pricing has finally

gone up after years of stagnation. It's about $.30/40LB bag.
Thanks John. I've been using this and quite happy with it. Just want to see how Gildale compares with it.
https://www.rona.ca/en/hardwood-pellets-40-lb-30505000

Brownsmoke

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 07:16:52 PM »

Planning to order a skid. Anyone interested in group buy? I am in Brampton. Total is 418$ delivered for 50 bags.

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 08:30:44 AM »

A good first post Brownsmoke - welcome!

I am too far away to partake in the group buy. Thanks for asking..
Pages: [1]   Go Up