Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Costco Traeger Roadshow  (Read 3555 times)

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Costco Traeger Roadshow
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »

I saw 4 different smokers and hickory pellets at the Costco in Maple Grove, MN.

Is the Texas a decent pit?
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

glitchy

Re: Costco Traeger Roadshow
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »

If you don't need to get above 400 degrees and want to be able to cook a lot of food at once I think it's pretty good for the money. I've been happy with mine, except I want to be able to get hotter to do more 'grilling'. If we lived a little closer to each other, I'd make you a deal on mine.

If you have a Scheels nearby, you might want to compare deals quick before pulling the trigger. I'm not sure what they are packaging at Costco, but Scheels often has the lower shelf and sometimes a cover included for I think the same price.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Ross77

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »

I’m not in the market. My neighbor is thinking about getting in the pellet game.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

jgrayson

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »

Hello,

That is a decent price for the Texas.  I still think I would consider other pellet smokers though.  I recently replaced a Traeger with a FireCraft Q-450.  I was able to but it for $795 and free shipping (it was a $200 off sale).  The FireCraft is a bit smaller then the Texas, but if you don't need all of that space it is a better product.
Have fun, John Yoder YS640S; Oklahoma Joes The Judge Charcoal Grill

dk117

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »

That's a good price for a decent pellet grill.  I paid more for mine and have had a great 8 years with it.   If size wasn't the issue I'd take a serious look at the Pit Boss, currently at Lowes for $499.  I was impressed with the build quality vs the Texas (though fair to say they are both in the same category). 

DK

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:57:17 PM by dk117 »

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:48:26 AM »

I'm glad to see this. I have a friend who purchased one unit from Costco a couple of years ago and he loves it.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:33 PM »

I had the Lil' Tex and it was a great pit for Low/Slow and baking but not hot enough IMO for hot stuff.  I put GrillGrates on it and that improved the grilling for steaks but it was still not near 500*.  I am surprised that Traeger has not moved up to PID type control. 

dshaffes

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:44:03 PM »

I own a Pro Series 22 and it is an excellent pellet grill.  It retails for the same price, and has a sturdier build among other features.  However, the best part is that it produces great tasting food.

wyd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »

Get the Pro Series, they have better legs and wheels, which makes them sturdier.
https://www.traegergrills.com/pro-series-grills.html
My friend has the Pro 34 and it does have the much bigger legs and wheels as does the Pro 22 model. :pig:
Louisiana Pellet LG900 Weber Platinum Kettle

Greasy

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »

I got a Pro 22 and recommend it as well. The Pro controller and 2 meat probes are a plus as well as the construction.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

I went back to Costco today and looked at the Traeger and again at the 800 Elite.  The Elite is twice the quality pit, has stainless double wall lid, all the inside walls are double as well except the bottom.  Has stainless sauce holder on front. Has pellet drop feed, PID controller, and enclosed bottom cabinet.  And is $100 cheaper than the Texas.  Agreed it only has a 12 lb pellet hopper, but now we know there is an aftermarket extender for that (add 20 lbs pellets). Retails for $1099.  On sale for $699.  The PID control is the best part.  With meat probe, and auto shut down to warm after meat temp is reached.  Oh and open flame grilling.  If I was in need, that would be the best bang for the buck.  I suspect that when Costco is out of them, that may be it for a while. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up