Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by mrp116 on 06 Mar 2018
  • Hello,

I am supposed to be taking delivery of a CC DLX on Thursday, 3/8.  I have been smoking on a WSM for over a dozen years, and I have done hundreds of cooks of ribs, butts, brisket, etc...  I am not getting rid of the WSM, but I am looking for something a little different, a bit more versatile, and possibly a little easier to get going.  I also own a Weber Performer that I will be keeping.  Other than the lighter smoke profile than the WSM (did purchase LumberJack 100% hickory pellets to try and offset that), what are the biggest differences between the two that I should expect?  It seems like I am going to have to get used to seeing, accepting, and not freaking out about wider and more frequent temp. swings.  (If you've never cooked on a WSM they are rock solid for long periods of time and a 20 - 25 degree increase or decrease does not happen very often and takes a relative long time to occur.)  I am very excited about this new addition and have already spent more than a few hours digesting this site's content and learning as much as I can about pellet cooking.
  • #2 by wahoowad on 06 Mar 2018
  • I’ll be interested to read your feedback regarding taste profile comparison
  • #3 by Flboy76 on 07 Mar 2018
  • welcome to the site and congrats on your DLX have mine going on 3yrs +. Agree on the light smoke flavor with pellets, I use mainly 100% cherry or pecan. I have had BBQ from stick burners where they would use hunks of oak, hickory wood and the smoke was so overbearing you would not taste the meat, just get a mouth full of smoke flavor. When you slow smoke on the DLX you will see a smoke ring and you will know that you have some smoke flavor in the meat. Good luck and post a lot of pic on that new DLX.
  • #4 by rwalters on 07 Mar 2018
  • Welcome to PH and welcome to the addiction! Congrats on your new DLX :)
Pages:
Actions