Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ylr on 07 Mar 2018
  • Pulled a 9 lb. pork shoulder out of the freezer about a week ago, and put in the garage fridge to thaw. Yesterday afternoon, took it out of the fridge, trimmed about 1/2 lb. of fat off the cap, and let it brine in a solution of water, salt, sugar, and Bone Suckin' Sauce rub. About 15 hours later,(after putting in 12 hours at work) I took it out of the brine, dried it off, applied a layer of sorghum molasses, and a heavy layer of Bone Suckin' Sauce rub.

Put it on the PB820 at 225......

6 hours later, internal was 160-170, so I placed in a foil pan, but didn't cover. I wanted to see how dark the bark would get.

After 9 hours, the thermopop went in with almost no resistance, and it read 201, so I pulled it.

Didn't weigh it, but I think I got about 5 pounds of pulled pork. Easily the moistest pork butt I ever cooked on the PB(never brined before, only applied rub), and the flavor is the best ever too, IMO.

It was 35-40 degrees outside during the cook, with a 10mph NW wind blowing across it, and I think that made it burn through a lot of pellets. It went through about 18 lbs. in 9 hours at the 225 setting. I think the weather also wreaked havoc with the 820's temps, as it fluctuated between 205-260, with an average(eyeballing, nothing concrete) of around 240.

Used Lumberjack 100% hickory, and it put out lots of smoke! Nice ring, and really good flavor! All in all, I'm very happy!  :pig:

• #2 by ylr on 07 Mar 2018
  • Not sure why the pics are on the bottom; first pic is when it first went on, 2nd pic is at 6 hours, last pic is after I pulled it off the smoker.
  • #3 by hokiepop on 08 Mar 2018
  • Nice looking shoulder.   I think Bentley is right about using molasses on a shoulder/butt.  I tried it on the last two shoulders I smoked and they were the best I have cooked.
  • #4 by silverbullet on 08 Mar 2018
  • Very nice! I to need to try the molasses. Just curious does the 803 have flame zone capabilities?
  • #5 by ylr on 10 Mar 2018
  • The newer 820s have a drip tray with a sliding flame zone cover, mine is the old style flat angled one. Not sure how well it would work once it got gunked up after repeated use, though.
  • #6 by TheStand on 13 Mar 2018
  • The newer 820s have a drip tray with a sliding flame zone cover, mine is the old style flat angled one. Not sure how well it would work once it got gunked up after repeated use, though.

I have the 700D with the flame broiler and it works great.
  • #7 by ylr on 13 Mar 2018
  • I have the 700D with the flame broiler and it works great.

Cool. They want $70 for a flame broiler for my 820. Not ready to plunk down the $$$ for one, though.
  • #8 by silverbullet on 13 Mar 2018
  • I have the 700D with the flame broiler and it works great.

Cool. They want $70 for a flame broiler for my 820. Not ready to plunk down the $$$ for one, though.

They sure are nice to have!
  • #9 by ylr on 14 Mar 2018
  • One time I grilled some steaks with the drip tray and the flame deflector off. Wasn't too bad, but we're used to the flavor of charcoal. Might try it again using mesquite, someday.
  • #10 by TheStand on 26 Mar 2018
  • One time I grilled some steaks with the drip tray and the flame deflector off. Wasn't too bad, but we're used to the flavor of charcoal. Might try it again using mesquite, someday.

Try the LumberJack Char/Hickory pellets!
  • #11 by ylr on 26 Mar 2018
  • Or I could chuck a briquette or two in the firepot after it's going good....... ;)
  • #12 by silverbullet on 27 Mar 2018

Try the LumberJack Char/Hickory pellets!

Love the Char Hickory pellets!
Pages:
Actions