Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Deebo1133 on 07 Mar 2018
  • Does anyone have any test data or comparison info from first hand experience between the two cookers listed in the title on how fast they increase their temp. Wondering if it is a clear difference between the two in a situation such as a reverse sear cook on the same machine. Or Time from cold to ready to smoke or grill?  I know there is some good data out there for the Mak pre current flame zone design but not finding much on the current design.
  • #2 by rwalters on 07 Mar 2018
  • I can be from cold to 425-450 within 20 mins or so. I have a hunch that the Memphis will be faster for reverse sears. It takes probably 10 mins to go from 250-450. I think the Memphis may be 1/2 that.
  • #3 by bregent on 08 Mar 2018
  • I can be from cold to 425-450 within 20 mins or so. I have a hunch that the Memphis will be faster for reverse sears. It takes probably 10 mins to go from 250-450. I think the Memphis may be 1/2 that.

Are you referring to the Pro?  I think the Elite takes at least 10 minutes to go from 250-450 - OK now I'll have to measure :)  But I don't do reverse sear on the Elite because it does take too long. And to get a good sear, you need to hold at that temp for at least another 5 minutes to get the grates to catch up.

These days I smoke on the Memphis and then sear on cast iron or over charcoal. For just straight searing, the Memphis works great.
  • #4 by rwalters on 08 Mar 2018

Are you referring to the Pro?  I think the Elite takes at least 10 minutes to go from 250-450 - OK now I'll have to measure :)  But I don't do reverse sear on the Elite because it does take too long. And to get a good sear, you need to hold at that temp for at least another 5 minutes to get the grates to catch up.

These days I smoke on the Memphis and then sear on cast iron or over charcoal. For just straight searing, the Memphis works great.
    Well now you’ve got me questioning myself... maybe my MAK takes a bit over 10 mins... maybe 12ish. I guess I’d need to test too...lol.  For a quick reserve sear, having a 17” Blackstone griddle sitting next to your pellet cooker is about as easy as it gets. Charcoal works to but more work.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2018
  • In either case, I think this is a good way to start a grease fire on your grill and I wouldn't recommend it.  If you are at this level of detail in deciding which grill to buy after exhaustive research, flip a coin. ;)
  • #6 by bregent on 08 Mar 2018
  • I did a reverse sear on chops last night and went from 250-450 in less than 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OK, thanks. I guess it's the 'watched pot' effect that makes it seem much longer :)
  • #7 by bregent on 08 Mar 2018
  • I did a reverse sear on chops last night and went from 250-450 in less than 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forgot to ask, did you verify those temps with a 3rd party thermometer?  When increasing temps on the Memphis (at least with the pre wifi controller), the 'Actual' temp starts to show a steady increase immediately that is not reflective of the real temp inside. I think the idea behind this is to assure the user that it's on its way. 
  • #8 by Bentley on 08 Mar 2018
  • We have a prime button on our Memphis', so we can get hot pretty fast if we use that feature.  But if I want a quick start or boost or do not want to wait around on any of my units...2 big handfuls of pellets in any combustion chamber will turbo any unit and have it at 500° in about 7 minutes...
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2018
  • We have a prime button on our Memphis', so we can get hot pretty fast if we use that feature.  But if I want a quick start or boost or do not want to wait around on any of my units...2 big handfuls of pellets in any combustion chamber will turbo any unit and have it at 500° in about 7 minutes...

I should try that in the MAK with that great igniter that I put in it.
Pages:
Actions