Poll: What should be the price for a ticket for the vertical smoker?  

$5
- 1 (2%)
$10
- 37 (74%)
$15
- 5 (10%)
$20
- 7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Mar 2018
  • Yes, we will start with one ticket per week
  • #17 by okie smokie on 09 Mar 2018
  • Assume that the total price of this purchase is between $650 and $700.  What price do you want to put tickets at?
    The PB vertical at Walmart is only about $399. That should not pose any problem if the tickets are $10.
  • #18 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Mar 2018
  • Assume that the total price of this purchase is between $650 and $700.  What price do you want to put tickets at?
    The PB vertical at Walmart is only about $399. That should not pose any problem if the tickets are $10.

You are not including freight to the winner and costs to do the product review and probably some other costs too.
  • #19 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Mar 2018
  • With tax it is $417, shipping is $202 to cover all contingencies, Paypal costs are about $40, and food costs to be factored, so we are easily at $700.
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Mar 2018
  • With tax it is $417, shipping is $202 to cover all contingencies, Paypal costs are about $40, and food costs to be factored, so we are easily at $700.

Thanks, Kristin.

I think if folks need to start nickel and diming the process then they shouldn't participate in the raffle if it makes them that uncomfortable.  I trust that if we are within $50-$100 back of the napkin math that no one is running off to Bora Bora with profits from these raffles.  From what I have read, I think most folks are almost laughing that they can put up $10 and win something $400-$700.  And, if they don't win, they can at least get an honest opinion and some facts on whether making an investment at full retail price is the right decision for them.

I can't speak for this as I don't participate in any other BBQ type forums, but I would be surprised if other BBQ forums are doing something similar to this for their community.  I can't believe there are many other places where the owners are willing to put in their time to administer such a raffle let alone perform the requests of the community of what they want to see tested.

Thanks for your efforts to make these raffles and product reviews happen, and those who participate and are involved in the effort.  I would be interested in hearing from those on the forum if they see something like this in other forums (BBQ or non BBQ) that they participate in.  I think this is a very unique experience and it is attributed to those who own and run this forum.
  • #21 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Mar 2018
  • And shipping may not be $200 and that could roll over to the next one.  If someone within a 3 to 4 hour drive from us wins, Bentley says he will just get in the truck and deliver it.  But we have to price to cover the cost to ship from about as far as we can get in the lower 48 from Culpeper.  The shipping costs are the thing that limit the products the most in my mind.  Once you get above 150 lbs it is just mind blowing what the costs are.
  • #22 by Bentley on 10 Mar 2018
  • Seems to me it is the Members making it happen!  I don't have to bend over trying to get Manufactures to send stuff and I get to play with it for a week or two.

Yeah Baby!

I think this is a very unique experience and it is attributed to those who own and run this forum.
Pages:
Actions