Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jasonjax on 08 Mar 2018
  • Curious if you guys are getting a decent sear on your steaks using the DC.

Thanks.
  • #2 by MMike on 08 Mar 2018
  • Not exactly...This is my Daniel Boone mod.
    Excellent for searing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJH0sMr0_lw
  • #3 by jstrand on 08 Mar 2018
  • Never tried a steak on my DC. I use my SRG for that. I've made some burgers, chicken and dogs but I usually just turn it up without opening the drip tray.
  • #4 by jasonjax on 08 Mar 2018
  • I plan to use grill grates, but I really wanted to hear from someone who already tried this. I know it can work, but I don't know how effectively it will work.

I'm a huge pellet guy now with Cookshack FEC-100 for my main smoker, and Cookshack FPG-500 for my main grill, but I want something very portable to use at SCA cook-offs and also as a chicken cooker potentially at competitions when I need some higher heat than what I'm running my FEC at. I want to stay with pellets for principle stake as much as convenience. :)

Moving the FPG-500 is a PITA ... the FEC-100 while bigger I modified the wheels on and it tilts right back into the truck-bed.
  • #5 by glitchy on 08 Mar 2018
  • I plan to use grill grates, but I really wanted to hear from someone who already tried this. I know it can work, but I don't know how effectively it will work.

If you don’t expect charcoal type results GrillGrates work wonderful. They do sear and mark the meat, they just don’t crust it like 600 degrees over direct charcoal does. If I didn’t have a charcoal kettle to compare to iI would be content with my Traeger and GrillGrates. I still do steaks that way at times for something different or if I am using the Traeger for something else and it’s already hot.
  • #6 by Clonesmoker on 09 Mar 2018
  • Done it on my DB! Cranked the temp up at the end to reverse sear. I let the IT get up to around 130-140, covered them put them back on when the grill temp was at 460.
  • #7 by jasonjax on 09 Mar 2018
  • I guess I'm wondering what the product would look like cooking at max temp on the grill grates start to finish to try and maximize crust development (mallard reaction) in addition to the grill marks from the grill grates.
  • #8 by MMike on 09 Mar 2018
  • Again, I'm using a Daniel Boone:
    I was able to get sear marks with Grillgrates.
    However, the grates themselves never got hot enough to perform well IMHO.
    The grates were even greasy to touch when I took them out of the grill.
    This is what motivated me to do the "Hot Rod" mod.
    I'm delighted with the results now.
  • #9 by jasonjax on 09 Mar 2018
  • Well, I bought a DC today. I will be testing soon! We'll see how it goes. I'll report back.
  • #10 by glitchy on 09 Mar 2018
  • I guess I'm wondering what the product would look like cooking at max temp on the grill grates start to finish to try and maximize crust development (mallard reaction) in addition to the grill marks from the grill grates.

I don’t seem to have pics of GrillGrate steaks...always in too big of hurry to eat them I guess. I have a Memphis on the way, so probably won’t be any more on the Traeger to capture pics of either. Hopefully, someone else has some. I did do these chops on them last weekend.
  • #11 by jasonjax on 09 Mar 2018
  • Yeah - and the DC theoretically can get 100 degrees hotter than the Traegar Tailgater so I'm thinking it is going to work well, will know soon enough!
  • #12 by glitchy on 09 Mar 2018
  • Yeah - and the DC theoretically can get 100 degrees hotter than the Traegar Tailgater so I'm thinking it is going to work well, will know soon enough!

The chops were only at 375 too, so I think you’ll be happy if you can get a DC to 500ish.
  • #13 by jasonjax on 11 Mar 2018
  • I have found my new steak cooker!!!! Whoot.

• #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Mar 2018
  • I have found my new steak cooker!!!! Whoot.

pics?
  • #15 by jasonjax on 11 Mar 2018

Pages:
Actions