Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by wahoowad on 08 Mar 2018
  • Where is the fan in my Woodwind? Does it blow through the auger?  :pig:

Is it there to fan the fire or to circulate the air (convection heat?)  :pig:

Does the fan run at the same speed all the time or does the controller vary it?  :pig:

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Mar 2018
  • probably in the hopper assembly to blow air through the auger tube to keep fire going and circulate air and managed by the controller set temp vs actual temp algorithms

some grills allow you to run the fan all of the time
  • #3 by wahoowad on 09 Mar 2018
  • Is either fan situated such that it pulls in fresh air and thus blows out heated air/smoke? I would think not but just asking based on other things I've read that confuse me.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Mar 2018
  • Is either fan situated such that it pulls in fresh air and thus blows out heated air/smoke? I would think not but just asking based on other things I've read that confuse me.

Why is it that you are asking these questions?  Do you think something is wrong with your grill?
  • #5 by wahoowad on 09 Mar 2018
  • No. But both the fans and smokestacks have been topics in other pellet grill threads I have read and I simply want to know how they work. Sorry, I'm an engineer and like to think through things. I'm also getting a few of my friends into the hobby of backyard barbecuing and they ask me a lot of questions that I like to be able to answer correctly.

I'm pretty sure the fans do not pull in fresh air as that would be continually forcing out recently heated air and smoke which seems counter to the operation. Just asking for confirmation.
  • #6 by wahoowad on 09 Mar 2018
  • Why is it that you are asking these questions?  Do you think something is wrong with your grill?

Actually....I forgot. I did have something specific to the fan that I was curious about because I haven't noticed this on pictures of other's units. I have no reason to suspect an issue other than I am still learning by observation how my unit works under the covers. I was surprised at the amount of ash that blew around but am assuming that is normal. But this bare mark on my auger box looks like the fan is blowing into the burn pot, the force of the air is hitting the right side of the burn pot and it is being redirected back over the auger box and blowing that area clear. I assume that is normal but haven't noticed any pics like it before. That said, I'm a newbie so am thinking I'm about to be schooled on this...  ;D
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Mar 2018
  • Well, I'm an accountant and not at your engineering level.  My MAK takes fresh air and blows it into the auger tube which goes into the fire pot.  I think most units are setup similarly as they need to get air from someplace behind the fan that is attached to the auger tube that blows into the firepot.  I believe my Traeger and Blazn work the same way.  Not sure about my Memphis as I have never taken the back off of the grill.  Some grills also have a second fan to circulate the hot air around the grill in a manner to attempt to keep the temp consistent and for the smoke to blow around the meat and then out some sort of exhaust so there is not stale smoke creating creosote trapped inside the grill.  At least this is my understanding which could very well be wrong.
  • #8 by hughver on 09 Mar 2018
  • What I am unclear about is the role of the small fan mounted on the auger motor.

My Traeger also has an auger fan, probably to cool the auger motor.  :2cents:
Pages:
Actions