Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by mrp116 on 08 Mar 2018
  • My DLX arrived today.  I left work a little early knowing that it was delivered.  On the way home I picked up a family pack of chicken wings to use for the first cook.  I know that a lot of people use bacon, fatties, or even biscuits to test their pits, but I wanted something that would kick off the grease to help season and be dinner at the same time. Assembly wasn't bad.  It did not come with any instructions, but I had watched a few videos on assembly and read the manual online in anticipation of delivery.  It was about 37 degrees.

After assembly, I ran it through the recommended 350 for 30 minutes cook off, and I used Pit Boss Hickory pellets.  During the burn off, the lowest temperature I noticed was 334, and the highest was 359.  The DLX primarily stayed between 340 and 355.  After 40 minutes at 350, I turned it up a notch to 375 and let it run for an additional 15 minutes once it reached 375.

After 15 minutes at 375, I put the wings on the grill.  I cooked them for 20 minutes at 375.  Then, I cranked it up to 400 and cooked them another 20 minutes with a turn.  After that 20 minutes, I cranked it up to high (we like our wings crispy with all fat cooked out) to see what this thing could do, and I ran it at high for 20 minutes.  The pit got up to 456 and seemed like it may have had a couple more degrees in it before I shut it down. 

I was satisfied with with temp stability on my first cook, and I am looking forward to my first smoke on the DLX this weekend with a butt or brisket.
  • #2 by wahoowad on 09 Mar 2018
  • Congratulations! Odd the instructions were left out but glad it didn't hold you up. Looks like it is working very well.

Good luck on your first big weekend cook!
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Mar 2018
  • I would recommend scraping the grease of the drip pan before you turn the temp up high again to mitigate potential for a grease fire.
Pages:
Actions