Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chefman has arrived!  (Read 17221 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: My Chefman has arrived!
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »

Thanks.  I'm way behind the curve on most of this.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2018, 04:49:24 PM »

So I am having the family over for Cinco de Mayo.  I am going to Sous Vide the Chuck and then just brown it and put in the sauce.  So 72 hours will be long enough and not to long if ya know what I mean!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »

whatever happened with the ham you made in the sous vide
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »

It was just sliced, and chunked and vac sealed!  I made some Biscuits this morning and took some of the chunks and ran them through the small chopper.  Wanted to make some Deviled Country Ham spread for the biscuits.  You know a meat is course, when you can shred it in a food processor and it still had a chew to it!  I am afraid it does not make a good Deviled Ham spread.  But I am hoping it will make some nice bean with bacon and split pea soup!  And I still have plenty of fairly thin slices that I hope will do well on a Biscuit!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »

Well I have one bag of about 3lbs and another at about 2.7lbs. of Chuck in the sous vide.  I am going to use it in the Chili Colorado for Cinco de Mayo!.  I was not really sure what to cook it at.  Once it is finished, it will just be added to the sauce and cooked a few more hours to hopefully take on the flavor.  I have it set at 140° and set the timer for 70 hours.  Should be ready the afternoon of the 5th.

If anyone see issues with this, please advise!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »

I would do 133-135 for 48 hours.  Don't remember where I read it but something about going over 48 hours wasn't recommended.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2018, 10:49:33 PM »

I figured it really did not matter what the cook temperature was as it is going into the sauce for a few hours anyway, so it will be like stew meat.  It will be cubed after the cook.  it is all about getting it tender with out drying them out!  I know that I did those chuck ribs for 30 hours and they were not even close.  I have seen a couple of folks on here say 50+.  I guess it is all about practice and we will see.  I will pull them at 48 hours and if they are not tender enough, bag them back up and cook some more!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »

slice a little bit off for a taco before you cube so you can determine if the tenderness will change after you put in the pot for chili for a few hours

i am curious if cooking at a higher temp after sous vide will make it tougher

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2018, 11:18:40 PM »

I would do 133-135 for 48 hours.  Don't remember where I read it but something about going over 48 hours wasn't recommended.

I agree with Bar-B-Lew, after more than 36-48 hours the flavor is still good but the texture becomes mushy with very little bite. Personally, when I do chuck for chili, I cube it, season it, dust with a little flour, sear in a hot skillet and add it to the chili. The real advantage of using sous vide is to be able to prepare meat at a low temperature, thereby retaining more flavor. Simmering the chili for several hours after sous vide would negate this advantage.  However, if i were to use the sous vide, I'd cook at 130° for ~ 36 hours, chop the chuck and add both chuck and fluid from the bag to the chili, simmering for less than an hour.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »

SV at 140° for 30 hours makes a good chuck roast, see here.  Somewhat less time seems appropriate for chuck that's going to continue cooking in the chili.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »

This is the data I was looking for.  I guess I will pull in about 2 hours.  That will be 24 hours, open up and see.  To me, Chili Colorado is not the same as Chili con Carne.  But I do not want mush, Chili Colorado is all about the mouth feel, to tender for me is a negative.  And I am going to have the cubed meat in the sauce just to flavor, not to cook, maybe I did not convey that correctly!

Not sure where I got the 50-70 hours cooking time, I must have dreamed it!

I agree with Bar-B-Lew, after more than 36-48 hours the flavor is still good but the texture becomes mushy with very little bite.

SV at 140° for 30 hours makes a good chuck roast, see here.  Somewhat less time seems appropriate for chuck that's going to continue cooking in the chili.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »

Not sure if Modern will win out over traditional.  It is tender, once again I forgot to season before vac sealing.  I would venture to guess it will not make a huge difference once in the sauce.  I have saved the bag liquid, and it will go into the sauce for flavor.  Just not sure if the meat braising in the sauce does not add a depth of flavor that may be lost in the sous vide process.  I also have no idea if it will break down further or remain how it is.  I am going to add it to the sauce an hour before serving to simmer!

Horrible photos, but just so interesting to see pink in a cut of meat I have never eaten with pink in it and it is tender!  Hopefully we will be able to enjoy the food celebrating the Mexican defeating the French at the Battle of Puebla!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

Glad I have this site as a reference for my future cooks.  Chuck seems to be done in about 22 hours!

leppolite

• Using less gas.
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »

It looks very tasty, what temp did you do this at?
Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »

Looks like that chuck would make nice sliced roast beef sandwiches.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up