Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chefman has arrived!  (Read 17225 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: My Chefman has arrived!
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »

Yeah, my Anova works flawlessly.  It holds temperature (based on my tracking it with a Rock's Stoker) and it sounds the alarm when the time interval I've set expires.  It's a few years old so it doesn't have WiFi but I don't care.

I may buy another so I can SV more than one item.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 08:40:59 PM »

We bought the Anova and have used it several times. It is WiFi but we are not. So no experience there. We are having fun with it doing different things. So far, so good.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »

I will probably try it tomorrow and it will work.  Just the way it seems to go with me sometimes...Just to tired to go mess with it tonight!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »

Well the SV39-J2-Black has decide to work today!  Great Joy!  It does seem to take more force then it should, and seems a bit sluggish in responding to the finger pushes, so I will go over that with CS when they contact me and see if I am possible doing anything wrong.

I decide I would continue my experimentation.  I did eggs, sorry, I completely forgot pictures.  I used the Chefman site guide for time and temperature.  They are slightly off on one or the other.  Yolk was good, but white's not as firm as I like.  I am now doing some carrots, and am using a site that pmillen sent me for temps & times.  Their guide for eggs was more time, so I believe I trust them to have better handle onn the cooking guide, so I am using them for carrots.

Having said all this, I love candied carrots.  Simple to make, boil some carrots for 15 minutes, put in some brown sugar and butter and mix and Viola!  For sous vide I am expected to wait 2 hours, cooked at 185°.  That seems excessive to me, and since I did not want to lug the CG-15 out, I have opted for the zip-lock approach.  I will check at 1 hour and see, since it will be easy to do.  But as my signature denotes, my middle name is contempt.  So you want me to wait 2 hours for my carrots?  JaJaJa...even if you want me to wait 1 hour for my carrots...They will need to be a very special flavor for me to ever cook like this, I will leave it at that!

10 baby carrots, 1/8 cup of brown sugar and 1oz of butter.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »

Here's a good guide to SV eggs. Hope this link is not in violation of anything:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

bregent

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »

>Some will say that they need the option for starting the thing remotely. Huh? I can't speak for anyone else, but the last thing
> I'm gonna do is put a pc of meat in the bath when I go to werk, and turn it on 6 hrs later. Put in ice they say, and it will melt first.
> Not in either of my containers.

Bob, I use a clear plastic non insulated container, with cellophane as a cover - and the ice bath stays below 40F for at least 6 hours. If you wrap the container in towels, or use a cooler, it will even keep it cold for much longer. It does work. Wifi is not the MOST useful feature, but it's not a gimmick either. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »

Again, they do not seem to have an answer on time for the whites, just another step. 

If I am understanding the article correctly and this photo corresponds to those temps, bottom right would be 140°, and bottom center 145°.  I cooked mine at 146° for 55 minutes and got possible even slightly undercooked bottom right, when I am looking for (in this photo at least) perfectly cooked for eggs benedict middle bottom.

Not sure how, or even if possible to keep the yolk the way you like and get the whites harder?  You can slow cook then pouch...but come on man, you want me to spend an hour cooking a poached egg?  And have 2 steps!  This is where I think me and FMT think the same about Sous Vide...it will be like Dry Aged Beef, when I really want to wow someone...

Lower left is perfect yolk for Scotch Eggs, cant tell on whites!

For instance, an egg cooked at 145°F for 45 minutes will have a barely set white and a completely liquid yolk. Take that up to 2 hours and the whites will still be just about the same, but the yolk will have thickened to the point where it holds its shape as well as, say, a washed up jelly-fish.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:23:49 PM by Bentley »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »

Mine came today. The anova from what I remember seemed a little more sturdily built. It also seemed to move the water around a little more than this one. The part of the stick that's in the water seems smaller on the chefman, which could be a positive. The anova seemed to take up alot of room in the cooking vessel. Just my initial impressions.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »

I think the egg pictorial is a little deceiving as the white bowls don't truly mimic the true appearance of the whites of the final product.
It's something you have to do to see the real results.

1-2 degrees can make a big difference. I too like the bottom left pi and the bottom middle. I've encountered both, and the middle pic has pretty runny whites. The one on the left has a bit firmer whites, yet still runny on the outside layer. This doesn't bother me as it actually helps removing the egg from the shell. I can remove half the shell, an cleanly remove the egg with little effort. That one works for so many dishes, it's hard to not like them. HOWEVER... I'd like to get the mostly firm white with the runny yolk!

My thoughts are starting at an elevated temp for say 5 minutes, and then dialing back the heat with the lid removed. Seems like that would help set the whites while no affecting the yolk so much. Obviously, there's no way to determine this without doing it. Now I need more eggs. The really cool thing is it's a cheap experiment.  8)
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »

Mine came today. The anova from what I remember seemed a little more sturdily built. It also seemed to move the water around a little more than this one. The part of the stick that's in the water seems smaller on the chefman, which could be a positive. The anova seemed to take up alot of room in the cooking vessel. Just my initial impressions.

Smaller in what way? Diameter or length? If diameter, your post makes sense. If length, it's a vertical space that shouldn't have any bearing on it's usefulness.

Why did you get rid of the anova?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »

I gave up on trying to cook a decent egg sous-vide.  The whites and yolks cook best at different temperatures.

I looked at my notes:
  • The best result was 147°.  The yolk was only okay and the white was too slippery for me.
  • The yolk begins to get hard at 149° and at 158° it's rather firm.
  • The white is best for me at 176°.
  • I could never duplicate a proper 8-minute boiled egg.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »

I Love experience!  That will end my Eggs Benedict quest very quickly!  Although the 146 for 55 minutes, was almost as good as any poached I have ever done, much easier and I can do 37 as opposed to 5 at a time if I want to feed the family EB!

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »

Mine came today also, is it normal for the pump to sound like it needs lubed?  I would think it would be fairly silent except for the splashing of the water.  I just set it in a pan of water to test it and it does get the water warm pretty durn fast, and maintains temp pretty solid.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »

Smaller in what way? Diameter or length? If diameter, your post makes sense. If length, it's a vertical space that shouldn't have any bearing on it's usefulness.

Why did you get rid of the anova?

Yes. The diameter. I may be off in my memory, but it just seemed like the anovas was bigger.

I've posted about the anova before in various threads. It worked great, and I liked most of the results. I missed the sights and smells of cooking, as I like the process. I just didn't see myself using it much overall, and at the time they were still 200 plus dollars. I wished a handful of times that I still had one so figured this cheap one may be worth having around. We'll see how it pans out. The anova definitely is the slicker product, which I guess was to be expected.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2018, 10:47:54 PM »

Mine came today also, is it normal for the pump to sound like it needs lubed?  I would think it would be fairly silent except for the splashing of the water.  I just set it in a pan of water to test it and it does get the water warm pretty durn fast, and maintains temp pretty solid.

Mine sounds similar to the anova. Hard to articulate, but the anova seemed to sound smoother than the chefman. The anova had a super gentle whir, and my chefman sounds a little less gentle with a sputter or squeak here or there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up