Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chefman has arrived!  (Read 17219 times)

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
Re: My Chefman has arrived!
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »

Also, so when cooking shrimp, which are rather delicate, do you put the shrimp in when it gets up to temp?  Other large cuts of meats probably aren't as critical but shrimp are.......shrimp.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2018, 09:03:46 PM »

Temp = Doneness    Time = tenderness.

Best thing is to do it at the temp and for a time you decide on, and then pinch to test for tenderness.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »

This is very much me!  I would think this would be fool proof, as I often under or over cook them trying to get it right.  Do you like your shrimp salad sandwich cold?

It was cold, but not ice cold. Just a bit of chill to it. I remember from when I had the anova that it was really good for shrimp. Those split top brioche rolls are pillow soft and buttery. They really make it great.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »

I was supposed to start last night and forgot, so it went on about 11am, 36 hours would have us eating at 11pm Sunday, so I guess we will get about 30 hours and maybe one in the smoke.  Have no idea how tender they will be.

Also have some very small, probably 3-4oz salmon filets in.  Not sure on time, but will try 90 minutes and hope they are not mush at 135°.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:47:05 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »

Everyone likes their salmon cooked a little differently, but I think 90 minutes at 135 is too hot AND too long. For average thickness fillets I go 1 hour at 120 - at that time and temp, the fish is tender, moist and flaky with no translucency.  If you want to go to 130, it will firm up a bit more. If it's got skin on, then do a quick sear to crisp it up.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

I went 60 minutes.  I am not a salmon eater, but those I cook it for seem to like theirs at  135°.  Believe it or not this plate was for me, I am trying to change...just can't do it!  No amount of Dill & Mayo can make this work! 

I thought I brined this before I ever vac sealed it, but I am not 100% certain of that.  Although, maybe the fat is going to come out with sous vide cooking whether it is brined or not?  I did like the texture, but it seemed cool, not even room temperature, just a couple of minutes out of vac, that puzzled me.  When I do it in the future, might try 115° for 60 minutes, then on Memphis for finish!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

I did like the texture, but it seemed cool, not even room temperature, just a couple of minutes out of vac, that puzzled me.

This is my complaint with SV.  When I grill a steak the exterior is hot (maybe around 500°).  So I serve a darn warm steak.  If it's cooked SV it comes out of the "oven" at 140°-145° and it immediately starts cooling.

I've been considering buying those individual cast iron platters that sizzling steaks are served on.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »

I could see that, although we would have to keep them around 150°, ehh?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »

I was thinking that I'd heat the platters on the gasser, sear one steak side, flip it and serve it while the second side is searing.

I'm not sure how it was done in the steak houses that served steak that way.  They may have put a shot of water under the steak to extend the sizzle.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »

Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »

The unit appears to have broke for real this time.  I got up to see the unit reading 156° water temperature when it was set for 135° abd the actual temp was 105°.  Glad everything was vac sealed as I am not as leery with temps when it is in an air free environment.  No idea when it broke.

No amount of banging, unplugging and plugging in, scrubbing temp sensor has made a difference, so I will follow the replacement guidelines.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »

I had to send them a form, and photos.  My replacement is to be here within 14 business day, which would be by April 12.  2 cooks interrupted and away we go!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »

I just unboxed mine.  The round tape tabs were no longer sealed, and screen looks to have some scuffs on it.  I wonder if it was a refurbished unit.

I did find two containers I have that look like they will work with this unit.  I will upload pics once Flickr quits acting up and not allowing me to upload the pics.

Does the bottom of the unit need to touch the bottom of the container it is in?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »

>Does the bottom of the unit need to touch the bottom of the container it is in?

No, you just need to have enough water to stay within the high/low water levels.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »

>Does the bottom of the unit need to touch the bottom of the container it is in?

No, you just need to have enough water to stay within the high/low water levels.

Thanks
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up