Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by glitchy on 11 Mar 2018
  • If there’s too much evaporation, you can market a new sous vide cooler lid gasket on Amazon when after you figure it out  :)
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Mar 2018
  • how long and what temp for the steak?  did you do a sear?
  • #18 by Bentley on 11 Mar 2018
  • It was about 2 inch thick, maybe 18oz.  3 hours at 135°.  I just pan seared it in butter.  To lazy to go turn on Memphis!  It would be a great meat and technique for a sauce...It has zero flavor.  I guess it is why it makes such good jerky and CFS!
  • #19 by Free Mr. Tony on 12 Mar 2018
  • When I had the anova, I did a Chuck eye steak I think for 48 hours or more in an uninsulated pickle bucket. I had a lid I cut that had a good 2 to 3 inch gap between the unit and the lid. I don't believe I had to add water at all. Hardly any water loss.

An insulated cooler with and insulated lid, I can't imagine a whole lot of loss.
  • #20 by Free Mr. Tony on 12 Mar 2018
  • Mine was originally supposed to be here today, but now is pushed back to tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do first. I remember the meatballs I made with the anova were really amazing. That may be the one.
  • #21 by Bentley on 12 Mar 2018
  • I have the rest of the Eye of Round to do.  About eight, 5-6lb. pieces.  I figure it is going to take about 24 hours, as the one in the crock pot took 20 by itself.  I figure I can do 4 at a time, just not sure how long they could sit whole in a fridge before being sliced and not dry out?  The dinner is a week from Thursday, I guess I will stare on them next Monday and hope that 48 hours for the 1st 4 won't be an issue!
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Mar 2018
  • I have the rest of the Eye of Round to do.  About eight, 5-6lb. pieces.  I figure it is going to take about 24 hours, as the one in the crock pot took 20 by itself.  I figure I can do 4 at a time, just not sure how long they could sit whole in a fridge before being sliced and not dry out?  The dinner is a week from Thursday, I guess I will stare on them next Monday and hope that 48 hours for the 1st 4 won't be an issue!

Keep them vac sealed and put in fridge after "cooked".
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Mar 2018
  • Sous vide them again to get them back up to temp and then move them to the warming oven.
  • #24 by Bentley on 12 Mar 2018
  • They have to be sliced for serving and that is usually done about 10 hours before reheating, so no way to really achieve (could be done, but not with my work ethic) what you are saying in a timely manner!
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Mar 2018
  • They have to be sliced for serving and that is usually done about 10 hours before reheating, so no way to really achieve (could be done, but not with my work ethic) what you are saying in a timely manner!

Check with the experts on here.  It may only take a few hours to reheat via sous vide in a couple of batches and move them to the warmer as they are done.  Again, not sure how much time you want to be in the kitchen to accomplish this either.
  • #26 by Kristin Meredith on 12 Mar 2018
  • You can't slice them thin when they are hot/warm.  They need to be cold.
  • #27 by TechMOGogy on 12 Mar 2018
  • Looks like a perfect solution and great cook!
    I would let it run at a set temp for a few hours and have your Tappecue in there to verify the set temp is correct.
  • #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Mar 2018
  • You can't slice them thin when they are hot/warm.  They need to be cold.

Here is what I was thinking in case it isn't coming across well.  Again, I don't know how long each sous vide step takes to know whether you have enough time or not.

Cook in sous vide
    Cool
    Slice
    Vac Seal
    Reheat in Sous vide
    Place in warmer
  • #29 by Bentley on 12 Mar 2018
  • Would be the ideal way to do it...but they would not get it, won't pay for the vac seal bags, would say this is not a 3 Star Michelin Restaurant and just throw them in the oven!  And on many levels they would be correct...It comes back to not being satisfied with a process even though 90% of the folks eating it think it is wonderful!
  • #30 by bregent on 12 Mar 2018
  • >> I figure I can do 4 at a time, just not sure how long they could sit whole in a fridge before being sliced and not dry out?

From what I've read, you can safely store beef in the fridge for 1 week after it's been sous vide for at least 6 hours. When SV done, remove from hot water and place directly into 50/50 ice/water bath until the internal temp drops to 40F - probably 30 minutes to an hour depending on thickness. Leave sealed in vac bag until ready to slice.
Pages:
Actions