News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bacon  (Read 575 times)

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Bacon
« on: March 08, 2018, 09:23:25 PM »

Did a modified bacon cure following amazing ribs maple bacon.  As I am trying to eliminate sugar and carbs (boy it's hard)  I reduced the maple sugar by 2/3 and added two additional tablespoon of salt. It was a bit too salty even after rinsing.  Next time I may soak for 30-45 minutes Otherwise turned out fine.

Smoked on my rectec, with smokering 100% cherry pellets, at the lowest possible setting. Bounced up and down from 180 - 190 and smoked til 160 IT. Also activated the extreme smoke.

Wonderful aroma and initial smoke.  It will get more pronounced tomorrow.  Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
Re: Bacon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »

I see you fried up a piece and I'm curious as to the flavor. Could you taste the maple? I like maple-flavored bacon, but when I tried curing with maple sugar the results were very subtle and were overwhelmed by the smoke.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »

Did a modified bacon cure following amazing ribs maple bacon.  As I am trying to eliminate sugar and carbs (boy it's hard)  I reduced the maple sugar by 2/3 and added two additional tablespoon of salt. It was a bit too salty even after rinsing.  Next time I may soak for 30-45 minutes Otherwise turned out fine.

Smoked on my rectec, with smokering 100% cherry pellets, at the lowest possible setting. Bounced up and down from 180 - 190 and smoked til 160 IT. Also activated the extreme smoke.

Wonderful aroma and initial smoke.  It will get more pronounced tomorrow.  Can't wait.

I am trying to do the same thing with carbs and sugar in my diet. I would be interested in the full recipe, if you don't mind sharing. I have a pork belly in the freezer that I'm looking to cure soon.
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

wilpark

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:40:59 AM »

I am trying to do the same thing with carbs and sugar in my diet. I would be interested in the full recipe, if you don't mind sharing. I have a pork belly in the freezer that I'm looking to cure soon.
Glad you are making the change.  It's changed my life so far.  Dropped 15 lbs in 2 months others have dropped 20-30lbs during the same period and have much more energy.

Maple Bacon Recipe

Makes. About 75 thick slices, about 100 ppm nitrites

Takes. 30 minutes prep, about 3 days of curing, about 2 hours of smoking.

Ingredients

3 pounds of unsliced pork belly about 1 1/2" thick and 6 to 8 " wide across the grain to make slicing easy and to make sure it fits in the frying pan

6 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt

4 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1.5 oz of maple syrup

3/4 cup distilled water

1/2 teaspoon Prague Powder #1

About the maple syrup. I use real maple syrup in this recipe, but it is expensive. The darker grades have more flavor. If you wish, you can use Steens Cane Sugar, pancake syrup, sorghum, honey, Lyle's Golden Syrup, or molasses.

Scaling. If you scale up, be sure to count the maple syrup as liquid so this recipe has 1.25 cups of liquid.

This is already modified with the added salt, reduced maple syrup and brown sugar removed. I did a 9 lbs piece and just multiplied everything by 3.

The salt levels further into the bacon wasn't too salty and was perfect for us.  Ends were much earlier, where the samples came from.

Sodaking27

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »

Looks fantastic. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Traeger BBQ070,BBQ075,BBQ155,Ironwood 650
Weber Smokey Joe - 22” Kettle
Blackstone 17” & 28”Griddles SmokinTex 1400

wilpark

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »

Glad to be of help.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »

Nicely done.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700
Pages: [1]   Go Up