Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Mar 2018
  • My wife was putting some leftover spaghetti in a round, clear glass pyrex dish and slicing up the spaghetti and the dish exploded into pieces.  Anyone ever have a pyrex dish explode on them?
  • #2 by gwilliams99 on 11 Mar 2018
  • I had a dish explode years ago. I had the bright idea of heating a Pyrex bowl on the electric stove top. Spaghetti went evey where like a bomb had went off.

It might be worth mentioning, Pyrex has changed their glass type from borosilicate to soda lime glass.
    Soda Lime is an inferior glass. It's more prone to shatter.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2012/09/13/pyrex-glass-isnt-as-shatterproof-as-it-once-was-report-finds/
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Mar 2018
  • the weird thing was the food was slightly less than fridge temp and the glass was at room temp
  • #4 by ArborAgent on 11 Mar 2018
  • I’ve switched to Marinex. It’s made like the old school Pyrex.
  • #5 by Chris__M on 12 Mar 2018
  • the weird thing was the food was slightly less than fridge temp and the glass was at room temp

The stress that causes pyrex to shatter can be delayed. It is possible that the dish had received a thermal shock days before, but had not shattered then, and the act of cutting the spaghetti in the bowl was enough to trigger the shattering.
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 12 Mar 2018
  • Crazy timing! It's only happened once, and it happened to be yesterday.  Probably my bad though. Baking a loaf of bread, and threw ice cubes on the preheated glass.
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 12 Mar 2018
  • Yep... years ago we had taken a very large pyrex bowl out of the dishwasher (it was not very hot when we took it out), and placed it on the counter to put away.  Can't remember why we did not put it away right after taking it out.  I left the kitchen and a few moments later heard a very loud popping sound and shattering glass on the counter and floor.  The bowl just blew up on it's own.  We always found it to be a weird occurrence and every now an then still talk about it and what happened.  Asked around and did not happen to anyone else.  We still have another similar bowl now, which has been fine for years. 
  • #8 by Canadian John on 12 Mar 2018
  •  Yes. It is both thermo and shock sensitive. It is "soda glass", not what it used to be..I don't trust it and have switched to stainless.
  • #9 by Chris__M on 12 Mar 2018
  • I still vividly recall my experience of 40 years ago. I was a student in a room with a tiny "cupboard" kitchen. My parents visited, and while washing up, my mum stacked 3 pyrex plates on the electric ring. Somehow - possibly during wiping down the cooker - the ring got switched on (on low). Some time later, we realised what had happened, and turned the ring off very carefully.

We then left the plates there to cool, and they stayed there overnight. Next morning, everything seemed fine - the plates appeared no worse for wear, and I picked them up to put them away.

BANG. :D
  • #10 by wilpark on 12 Mar 2018
  • Yup.  Can't heat anything over 400 degrees anymore in Pyrex.  Wife baked some corn pudding at 425 and then took it out of the oven and placed it on a stone counter.  Temp diff destroyed the Pyrex.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #11 by Chris__M on 13 Mar 2018
  • It's worth noting that the Pyrex available in the UK is made in France, using the original borosilicate formulation. From what I understand, it is a different company who have long licensed the name in Europe.
  • #12 by pmillen on 08 Apr 2018
  • I was reminded of this thread as I prepared a pyrex dish of vegetables for roasting.  Is there a way to easily distinguish the old (better) Pyrex from the new?  I might file that information away for use at estate sales, flea markets, Goodwill stores and such.
  • #13 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • Anyone have any of the old ones and new ones?  Are there any stamps or impressions on the bottom?
  • #14 by Canadian John on 08 Apr 2018

•  Paul, This is what I found; The "old" original Pyrex is identified by the word "PYREX" (upper case). The change to soda-lime glass happened in 1998 and is identified by "pyrex" (lower case). Hope that helps.
  • #15 by ZCZ on 08 Apr 2018
  • Neighbor lady had that happen when the dish was in her oven.  She wrote in to Pyrex and they replaced it.
    Z
Pages:
Actions