Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pellet grill build  (Read 2053 times)

Hwyman89

Pellet grill build
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »

Just curious if anyone has built their own pellet grill. I’m starting to myself but I’ve just got some questions and would like to bounce some ideas off more experienced people than myself.   
Thanks

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Pellet grill build
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »

Welcome Hwyman89 on your first post. There have been posts with photos. Not sure about here but PH for sure.  I am sure others will chime in.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »

Send a PM to this Member...zephyr...There are a few good fabricators on here, none better then this member!  He has modified a couple...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:42:55 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Hwyman89

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:34:20 PM »

Thanks and I’ve got the main design and size just looking into things like drip tray size and distance from the grates

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »

I'll be interested to see how this turns out for you.  I've been contemplating the same thing. 

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 01:55:57 AM »

I'll be interested to see how this turns out for you.  I've been contemplating the same thing.

Yes, please take lots of pics as you build, this would be cool to see.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Hwyman89

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »

I defiantly will just super busy at work no time but to sleep but back in the garage soon I hope

JoeGrilling

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 01:09:32 PM »

Do you have any rough design criteria in mind?

My fuzzy thoughts for mine are as follows:
1. Two grate surfaces.  Either 36" x 24" or 39" x 24" grilling surface.  I thinking of making my own grates from 5/16" 304 SS.  The plan is to build each surface from three separate grates for easier cleaning and handling.
2. Upper grate surface has two height options.  One at maybe 4" above the lower to accommodate a drip pan for turkeys and another a few inches higher to allow basting ribs on the lower level.
3. Insulated walls are a must.  I'm thinking of framing this thing out of square tubing and using ceramic insulation.  Tube size will determine insulation thickness.
4. Anodized aluminum searing grate.  These are available online and most of the big guys buy from the same source.

I built a heat treat oven from scratch a few years ago.  It is capable of reaching 2000 deg F.  This was a fun project.  It just takes time and a lot of careful planning.  Most of it was built from the remnant pile at a local metal supplier.             

Hwyman89

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »

Ya main body is 30 wide 24 in diameter 12g steel.  Made grates from 1/4 304 going to use the pellet pro hopper.  My hope is that it will be “light” enough to bring with camping. Hopeful for next week to get back into the garage to work on it.  I was going to build my own gas forge a couple of years ago but bought one instead but kinda interested in how you built your ht oven.  I’ve made a few knives over the last few years so ht oven kinda always been on my wish list

JoeGrilling

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »

Ya main body is 30 wide 24 in diameter 12g steel.  Made grates from 1/4 304 going to use the pellet pro hopper.  My hope is that it will be “light” enough to bring with camping. Hopeful for next week to get back into the garage to work on it.  I was going to build my own gas forge a couple of years ago but bought one instead but kinda interested in how you built your ht oven.  I’ve made a few knives over the last few years so ht oven kinda always been on my wish list

Here's a link to the Hobby Machinist Forum where I posted my heat treat oven build:
(Admin -- no links to other forums please)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:24:30 PM by Kristin Meredith »

JoeGrilling

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »

Here's a link to the Hobby Machinist Forum where I posted my heat treat oven build:
(Admin -- no links to other forums please)

I'll try this a different way without a link.  Google on "Hobby Machinist heat treat".  A list of posts from the mentioned forum will be listed.  Look at the one from April 11, 2015 entitled "Diy Heat Treat Furnace".  That's my furnace build.

Hwyman89

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »

So work and life has been nuts but got the body and legs put together hoping to fit the hopper wheels and grease drain tomorrow just got a couple of pictures so far been in a rush to get I done before camping season

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:48 AM »

I made my own, and it is my primary cooker, but I did mine as a variation on a UDS out of a 55 gallon barrel.

I have a stainless steel pizza pan that sits right over the fire pot as a heat diffuser.  I then have 3 cooking levels made from Weber cooking grates.  More often than not I use the bottom one for a water pan.  It has a dome lid very similar to the lid from a Weber kettle grill.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 10:06:51 AM »

Very nice work Hwyman !

JoeGrilling

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »

Looking good!  What did you use for your barrel?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up