Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Long is your Davy Crockett taking to get up to temperature?  (Read 8668 times)

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.

I've got a DC that wouldn't get up past 100-130 degrees.  I got a warranty replacement temperature sensor, but only had time to briefly test it once and while it got up to 250, it seemed like it took nearly 30 minutes to get there in about 65 degree weather.  I need to run it again to test, but in the meantime, I'm wondering how long it's taking you folks to get up to cooking/smoking temp (and what's your ambient temperature) ?  Thanks.
Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles

jstrand

• Using less gas.
Re: How Long is your Davy Crockett taking to get up to temperature?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »

On Saturday it was 35 degrees and it took about 30 minutes to get to 425. It wasn't doing a very good job of holding 425 though. I've had the DC for a year and in the last two months it seems like its not heating up as fast or holding its temps as accurately as it used to. At the same time it is winter so maybe that's just how it works when its cold.

That seems odd that it would take that long to reach 250 in 65 degree weather.

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:50:12 PM »

Mine heats up like crazy
In warm temps - 70's plus its about 10-15 mins to 350
In cold temps just a bit above freezing its about 5 mins longer to 350, maybe 10 max
I clean mine out after every 3-4 cooks, not sure if that makes any difference other than it does start up better
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »

The "temperature sensor"(RTD) furnishes info to the controller and display. If in fact the temperatures are found to be what is displayed, the controller might be suspect*. I would first check the pits internal temperature using an good electric thermometer such

as the Thermoworks Dot. If both the oven thermometer and controller display are close, there is a problem, and it is not the RTD.

* Check these first:  Is the fire pot clean and in good shape?  Is the combustion fan delivering good air flow?  Pellets. Could be damp, very damp.  Auger: Is there good pellet delivery to the pot? Hope this helps...Let us know how you make out.

How old is the pit?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:41:58 PM by Canadian John »

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »

I contacted GMG customer service and they've been great.  They are working with me to figure out the issue.  Stay tuned.  I will update after we get this figured out.

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:56:30 PM »

Nice. Today I did a pork butt, set it at 225, Smoke was reading about 250-275. After I woke back up it was still reading high, although the readout on the grill was always reading around 210-218, so I lowered the grill to 200 to get actual readings closer to 225. The grill fell all the way to 158 or 160, smoke was reading about 178-185. Grill remained at 160-170 for at least 10-15 minutes then finally climbed back to 200, then dropped back to 178-197 for basically the next 3 hours only hitting 200 once more for a split second then dropping below. It's been struggling like this since after I used it on Christmas. It used to be spot on or usually less than 10 degrees +- and when raising temps it would climb pretty much right away and not struggle same with when dropping temp. So I may have to contact them in the near future as well.
Yes, I had just cleaned it before this cook. Granted i didn't get the probe to be shiny but it was as clean as it had been in the past when it worked fine.
So that's my story. Butt turned out fine, I pulled at 160 put in a pan covered with foil and into the oven at 250 until IT of 205.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »

Only time mine took very long to warm up, was when I had the environment setting to summer, when it was actually winter... after adjusting to 'icy' conditions, it works like a champ in cold weather. ( you may need to update your controller firmware if you can't find this feature in your App's grill options section. )
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »

I did upgrade the firmware to latest and now have the climate options. Also the grill has been running like it used to the last couple times i have used it. Maybe i just had some bad pellets or some other gremlin.
As a shout out to GMG I had emailed them about my issue, had a reply email within 15 minutes, after some testing he thought it was a control board issue. Said he ordered me a new one, thought I would get tracking number or something, 2 days later i had a package at the door. Great Customer Service!!!
I have not installed it yet since the grill seems to be working fine again, but at least I have the part on hand.

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »

Initially, GMG sent me a new temp sensor, but that didn't solve it.  When I figured the new temp sensor wasn't the problem, I emailed them and then got a phone call from them about 15 minutes later.  The tech was super polite and helpful and walked me through several procedures to try to figure out what the problem was.  After about 20 minutes on the phone and various starts, stops, etc., he said he was sending me a new controller under the warranty.  It arrived 2 days later and it solved the problem.  Great customer service from GMG. 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 09:29:29 AM »

Relief!

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:26:38 PM »

Im having similar issues as the ones mentioned in this thread. On Sat night, I fired up my Davey Crocket to do a beef chuck roast overnight. It never did get up to the set temp (225) and hardly even hit 200. Checked it with my Maverick 732 and it confirmed the DC wasn't getting to temp. I ended up finishing the roast in the oven. I had cleaned it out before and after the cook, tried it again on Sunday and it still wouldn't get to temp, no matter what I set it too. Looks like I will be contacting GMG as well.

cheers,
SS
Have a Grillin Good Day!

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »

Sorry to hear about your DC.  During the troubleshooting, the GMG tech had me look under the hopper to make sure the fan was running - mine was.  Another was to try the startup procedure a couple of times (to get more pellets in the pot at startup).  Lastly, he had me get a big piece of foil and fold it in half, place it completely over the hopper opening and close the cover to seal it.  Then see if that made any difference.  You might want to try these just to check.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:16:51 PM by RemoGaggi »
Pages: [1]   Go Up