Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting something started in here  (Read 3406 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Getting something started in here
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »

I've been a big fan of smokin bros grills since meeting Ryan at the American Royal a few years back. They are super high quality, and Billy's controller puts them over the top.

About a year ago, my buddy's wife asked me to pick out a surprise for her husband. I wanted to get him something quality, but I didn't want to have to mess with shipping prices since it was someone else's money. I also didn't want to get him just an average off the shelf grill. There is a local dealer for smokin bros. So that's what I went with.

He's been thrilled from the first day. He uses it CONSTANTLY.  We broke it in about a year ago with some faux McRibs. Here it is on that first night.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Getting something started in here
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

They make a great pit.  I hope we have an owner out there who starts posting in this board.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »

FMT, are those st louis ribs w/o the bone that you used on those McRibs?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »

That looks sooooo good
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »

They were baby backs. Over cooked slightly on purpose so the bones would just pop out leaving an intact slab of boneless ribs. I think I pre-slit along the bones before cooking as well. Over sauced with open pit original. We had quite a bit of alcohol by the time they were done, but man did they hit the spot.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »

They were baby backs. Over cooked slightly on purpose so the bones would just pop out leaving an intact slab of boneless ribs. I think I pre-slit along the bones before cooking as well. Over sauced with open pit original. We had quite a bit of alcohol by the time they were done, but man did they hit the spot.

They look like something that a restaurant should sell.  Im no a big McRib fan but would devour what you made.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 10:53:33 PM »

I've had mine since Nov. 2016, burnt through 300+# of pellets and almost as much meat, poultry, home cured Canadian bacon and Costco brats.  Good experiences except for one bin fire caused by an auger assembly mistake, most probably by the dealer assemble.  Attached pics of a mod that makes sense to me.  This is not hard to do and has added a major versatility factor, similar to the Kuma Grill.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:55:06 PM by RichW »
Smokin Bros Premium 24

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »

Nice work Rich.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

Nice to have an owner with some real world experience with the pit on the board.  Thanks for posting

srobert

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »

I also own a Smokin Brothers  premier  24", and also a Yoder YS1500,  the Smokin Brothers premier 24" is my goto smoker, this thing is built like a tank, I can vouch for that , I live in Colorado  Springs Co.  I left it on my patio without locking the caster wheels, we had some very strong winds, it blew it off my patio onto the Sandy backyard  that I have.  When I arrived home, and saw it laying on the ground my heart sank,  I picked it up, set it back on the patio, all that was damaged was the temp probe, along with some scratches that I quickly covered with high temperature paint, bought the new temp probe, was back in business, when I purchased mine it had the older dial controller I replacedon't it recently  with the Savanah  Stoker, couldn't be happier.  Best investmentioned I made.  Been very happy with it, also very pleased with the new controller.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 10:56:33 PM »

I also own a Smokin Brothers  premier  24", and also a Yoder YS1500,  the Smokin Brothers premier 24" is my goto smoker, this thing is built like a tank, I can vouch for that , I live in Colorado  Springs Co.  I left it on my patio without locking the caster wheels, we had some very strong winds, it blew it off my patio onto the Sandy backyard  that I have.  When I arrived home, and saw it laying on the ground my heart sank,  I picked it up, set it back on the patio, all that was damaged was the temp probe, along with some scratches that I quickly covered with high temperature paint, bought the new temp probe, was back in business, when I purchased mine it had the older dial controller I replacedon't it recently  with the Savanah  Stoker, couldn't be happier.  Best investmentioned I made.  Been very happy with it, also very pleased with the new controller.

I lived in Colorado Springs back in 1997-1998 in the northern part of the city north of the airport.  I think it was Manston Drive.

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »

At the AR Ryan had a shaker of his Smokin Brothers rub, tried it, bought his last one off him and have ordered at least a dozen since. It’s my go to rub for pork tenderloin, bacon candy, mix it into my rubs, etc etc :)
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

BMerrill

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 07:53:16 AM »

At the AR Ryan had a shaker of his Smokin Brothers rub, tried it, bought his last one off him and have ordered at least a dozen since. It’s my go to rub for pork tenderloin, bacon candy, mix it into my rubs, etc etc :)

Which rub was it? Kitchen Sink or Everything but

bten

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is a great idea.  My wife likes ribs, but hates to mess with the bones.  I will try this soon.

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:33 AM »

Nothing is ever over-sauced with Open Pit BBQ Sauce  :cool: :cool: :cool:

World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up