Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SmokinHandyman on 12 Mar 2018
  • I have been looking in to buy a new pellet smoker.
    I have no need for WIFI but most offer that.
    I don't have a smart phone and if I did get a grill with WIFI can I control it whit my desktop?
  • #2 by SmokinHandyman on 12 Mar 2018
  • I have WIFI on my desktop
  • #3 by SmokinHandyman on 12 Mar 2018
  • Any of you tech Guys?
  • #4 by glitchy on 12 Mar 2018
  • It really depends on the grill itself and how it works. Several of them only support iPhones and Android phones for their WiFi. I think I have seen one or two that say they work with any desktop browser as well. However, you most likely won't get alerts from that setup.

I mean absolutely nothing by saying this, but do want to make sure you know that you can control all of the WiFi grills I've see from the grill itself...it doesn't require WiFi to run. Supporting the idea of someone running with a desktop browser would be relatively simple if you are already writing apps for phones, but I can see where is doesn't have much traction and justification to the grill companies. Most people want WiFi so they can check on their grill and get app alerts or text messages when their food is done and they're busy running errands. If you're at home on your desktop, you'll probably just look at your grill (in their minds).
  • #5 by SmokinHandyman on 12 Mar 2018
  • It really depends on the grill itself and how it works. Several of them only support iPhones and Android phones for their WiFi. I think I have seen one or two that say they work with any desktop browser as well. However, you most likely won't get alerts from that setup.

I mean absolutely nothing by saying this, but do want to make sure you know that you can control all of the WiFi grills I've see from the grill itself...it doesn't require WiFi to run. Supporting the idea of someone running with a desktop browser would be relatively simple if you are already writing apps for phones, but I can see where is doesn't have much traction and justification to the grill companies. Most people want WiFi so they can check on their grill and get app alerts or text messages when their food is done and they're busy running errands. If you're at home on your desktop, you'll probably just look at your grill (in their minds).

My thoughts exactly.
    I am old school and will find a grill that I don't have to pay for the WIFI feature
    When I am cooking I am not running around town  checking my phone and saying I am cooking a brisket.
    I can rely on my Maverick controllers and do just what I need to do.

Thanks for your input
  • #6 by glitchy on 12 Mar 2018
  • In your situation I wouldn’t pay more for WiFi, but wouldn’t be afraid to buy a grill if it was a standard feature. My in-laws said they could care less about smart phones for years, but good luck taking them from them now that they’ve had them a year. Several great pellet grills don’t come without it anymore and i bet most all will follow suit within 2-3 years.
  • #7 by Darwin on 12 Mar 2018
  • The apps. should work on tablets using Android and Apple operating systems.  Not so much on my Amazon fire.   >:(
  • #8 by Redapple on 13 Mar 2018
  • For those that want the functionality on a pc or mac, you can get emulators and run the mobile apps on your computer through the emulator.

Here is a link for a review of the best pc and mac emulators
    https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

Google Chrome also has a beta app that allows your pc to run andriod

Hope this helps
  • #9 by WayneB on 13 Mar 2018
  • You need an App to use the grill wifi, I don't know of a grill company that makes an App for a PC. I know Green Mountain does not I checked the other day. And since they have had wifi the longest, I am sure no one else does it either.
  • #10 by glitchy on 13 Mar 2018
  • You need an App to use the grill wifi, I don't know of a grill company that makes an App for a PC. I know Green Mountain does not I checked the other day. And since they have had wifi the longest, I am sure no one else does it either.

From MAK’s site:

“MAK Grills revolutionary Wireless Web Application allows you to operate your grill using any device with a web browser. Change and set grill temperatures, set meat probe alerts, receive text or email notification alerts no matter where you are or what you’re doing.”
  • #11 by keithj69 on 13 Mar 2018
  • For those that want the functionality on a pc or mac, you can get emulators and run the mobile apps on your computer through the emulator.

Here is a link for a review of the best pc and mac emulators
    https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

Google Chrome also has a beta app that allows your pc to run andriod

Hope this helps

Bluestacks is a pretty good emulator to use on a desktop. 
    Caveat to some of the emulators on a laptop, it can be battery intensive.
Pages:
Actions