Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Mar 2018
  • Hate to bring this up.  My Yoder seems to do fine.  Turn it on, set temp, wait till temp and throw food on.  Done, great, everyone raved at 4 + years.  And a few had been stick smokers and BBQ restaurant eaters.

That said, I don't compete, worry about others.  I'm in an isolated town of 2,000,000 folks.

Hate to bring this up, but my Memphis Pro also seems to do fine.  Turn it on, set temp and throw food on.  Done, great, everyone raved for 8+ years.  And I do compete.  In fact the Pro has helped us take multiple firsts in ribs, pork butt, chicken and brisket including 25th in chicken out of over 500 teams at the 2010 AR in Kansas City (and helped ZCZ take 24th in ribs in 2015 with over 600+ teams) -- a city where quite a few folks who judge also cook on stick burners, own bbq restaurants and compete.  And I have also cooked for folks on it in every town we have lived in from L.A. to Vegas to Mayberry and gotten nothing but great compliments.

With that said -- so what?  Your Yoder does fine, my Memphis does fine.  Neither statement has anything to do with old smoker's personal taste for smoke in bbq.   
  • #17 by Lantern on 14 Mar 2018
  • I'll add something even though I DO NOT own a Memphis.

First I would definitely skip the 321 method and leave your ribs in the smoke the whole cook. Second, I would drop my temps. 275 is a popular temp with pellet cookers but since the Memphis is so efficient I'd look at 250 or lower. And last, ribs that are a little wet help smoke stick/absorb a little better IMO. I'd give a couple of these changes a try before I got really worried.

One more thing. There is always the chance that you have become used to a very heavy smoke and nothing less will satisfy you. There are smoke tubes and such to help this, but that's adding something to help after paying a relatively LARGE amount of money.......that can really gripe a person. Hopefully this won't be the case, but at times things are just what they are.
    • Lantern
  • #18 by Bentley on 14 Mar 2018
  • Conumdrum, your comments help the Member with his problem how?  To go buy a Yoder?  Help or post somewhere else, I am getting complaints about you again from Members about irrelevant post trying to stir things up. 

And just so I AM CLEAR I am not in a discussion with you I AM TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO!

I simply don't need the aggravation, and the option to fix the problem is real simple for me...so I really hope you are getting my meaning...because at this point I am almost done with you!  I have tried to be patient, tried to give 2nd chances...But if this is all you have to contribute...better to move on!
  • #19 by David on 15 Mar 2018
  • 250 seems to be the Sweet Spot on my elite,  it just works flawless there.  Everyone that eats food from it just loves it.
  • #20 by ZCZ on 15 Mar 2018
  • I did ribs at the 2015 Royal on my Pro and did OK.  The judges liked them.
    It seems the smoke ebbs and flows on mine. 
    Here is a video of Phrett's Pro at the Hog & Steer BBQ comp. in 2016. His smokes more than mine yet we both have Pros.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1EDNv97AY
    Z
  • #21 by old smoker on 15 Mar 2018
  • Hello everyone Jim here. This is why I love this site so much help, you have given me plenty of good ideas. So I think from what most of you are saying is to try a higher temp and not use the three two one method. Just to be clear I am not disappointed with my purchase just looking for help on how to run it and get the best cook. I will continue to try and with your help I am sure its a me problem and not the product especially after seeing the pictures you have posted. so that being said I keep trying and keep you all posted.   
                                                                                                                                                     Thanks again for the help Jim
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Mar 2018
  • Looking forward to your future posts off the the Elite.
  • #23 by MSOLSON on 15 Mar 2018
  • Before I purchased my pellet grill, I religiously read a lot of comments and advice from people who had a lot of experience with pellet grills including numerous contributors on Pellet Fan. Everyone agreed that pellet grills produce a lighter smoke profile. Since I like a heavier smoke profile, I use two smoke tubes on every slow cook. They are very easy to use. I also use the 3-2-1 method for cooking ribs.  Picture shows the smoke tubes under the ribs. Hope this helps. (Oops, just noticed that an earlier response mentioned smoke tubes.)

• #24 by SJeP on 15 Mar 2018

• Picture shows the smoke tubes under the ribs. Hope this helps. (Oops, just noticed that an earlier response mentioned smoke tubes.)

What grill is that if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• #25 by okie smokie on 15 Mar 2018
  • Simple remedy for more smoke.  Use a smoke tube or sprinkle some hickory chips onto the drip pan, near one edge.  The temp should be enough to make them smoke.  Smoke tube works better.  Keep in mind that the white smoke you see is not the ideal smoke, it is the blue smoke that is harder to see that renders the wood flavor.  I use a hickory pellets (B & B) that are not all hickory.  Lumberjacks are 100% and that may work better.  I just made ribs on my GS and they were wonderful, and mildly smoky which is the way we like them.  I cook em at 260 so I don't see a lot of smoke.  With the smoke tube, they are much smokier, but we decided that we were happy without the extra. You have a great pit by history, so I'm sure you can obtain what you like with some manipulation as above.. Good luck.
  • #26 by Bentley on 15 Mar 2018
  • I guess I truly do have a suggestion if it is just a more pronounced smoke flavor that your wife may enjoy.  Get a Blaz'n Smoker, I think they are $50...It was 6 hours on this bacon, about 5 to many...  I say this with all sincerity and best interests at heart.  I went to put meat in the 2nd fridge where this bacon was stored for a couple of days after smoking, that was 10 days ago.  You open the door and you still smell the smoke.

• #27 by old smoker on 15 Mar 2018
  • ok agin I thank everyone for the input. so here is the latest on my quest for more smoke. today I went to my local Memphis dealer had a nice chat with him he has a Memphis Pro he like all of you gave lots of help, so I went home what I did was give the Memphis a very good cleaning including the fire pot. scraped and vacuumed  everything out. it was getting late so I fired it up  As Bentley suggested I ran it up to 250 then back to 200 and guess what nice smoke all the up and back. So the only thing I think was wrong was too much ash under the the fire box. I did not put anything on that will come later but there is SMOKE yahoo. I did buy a pellet tube but I don't think I will need it, maybe for smoking cheese, nuts salt things like that. I did put the probe in for a test what I came up was I had the probe set for 190 the grill temp went around 200 then settled down and held temp. All and all I am a happy clam. I would like to thank you all for your help and support it helped and gave me lots and lots of things to try and think about going forward. I will be posting and visiting as time allows.
                                                                                                                                           Thank you all for the pictures and advice Jim
  • #28 by rwalters on 15 Mar 2018
  • Glad you were able to figure it out! And yes, please stick around and join the conversations... oh yeah, and don’t forget to post pics of your Memphis and the grub that comes from it :)
  • #29 by Bentley on 15 Mar 2018
  • Wonderful!  So now the title is not accurate?
  • #30 by old smoker on 16 Mar 2018
  • yes Bentley the title is not even close to accurate. Sometimes its the little things that you overlook that make the biggest difference
Pages:
Actions