Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 14 Mar 2018
  • Porter Cable 4 gallon stainless canister, wet-dry for only $25.  Has washable filter for the outlet canister, and disposable paper bag for the inlet. Did some research on this and found that you can use Shop Vac 4 gal bags from Home Depot instead of original bag for better fit and less leaks.  Since I was not happy with my ShopSmith ash vac. cause it clogs up fast and loses suction, I decided to buy the above.  What a difference!  For about the same price as the bucket top kind, you get a complete unit, with accessories and super suction.  Did a complete cleanup of the inside of my GS, and also vacuumed the pellet dust out of my hopper (long overdue). No clogging or loss of suction.  Gonna give the ShopSmith to my son.   :cool:
  • #2 by Ross77 on 14 Mar 2018
  • I think I bought that same one last year.  It's a decent shop vac.  I wish it had a little more power.
  • #3 by Darwin on 14 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for the reminder!  I meant to pick it up last week but I forgot.  I gave my old shop vac to the pellet grill and I need a replacement.   :clap:
  • #4 by okie smokie on 14 Mar 2018
  • I think I bought that same one last year.  It's a decent shop vac.  I wish it had a little more power.
    This one seemed to have plenty of suction.  Doesn't have to be a moose for sucking up ashes.  I noted that the paper bag that came with it leaked a little around the intake but will check out the Shop Vac bag at HD.  I was told they are a bit tighter around the intake and work fine. Also, it is good that I can get them locally (1 mile from my house).. I think it may be the best $25 I've spent in a while. Usual price is in the $42 to $50 range online.  My ShopSmith was $68 and turned out to be a dud. 
  • #5 by Ross77 on 15 Mar 2018
  • Yes it’s a solid vacuum. I was comparing it to my full size shop vac which probabaly isn’t a fair comparison.
  • #6 by cookingjnj on 16 Mar 2018
  • Hey okie smokie, I purchased the same Porter Cable 4 gallon vac last year for the sole use with the Pellet Grill.  As you have advertised, mine works great and does exactly what I picked it up to do, and it was only $25.  Great unit for this purpose and price.
  • #7 by glitchy on 16 Mar 2018
  • I saw this the other night and almost grabbed one. I only passed because I think I want the smaller Armorall 2.5 gallon that might store under my grill and has a built in hose holder, etc.

The metal can and tight hose did make it look like a pretty nice vac though.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 16 Mar 2018
  • It is and I found the Shop Vac bags at Lowe's that will fit it.
  • #9 by Ross77 on 16 Mar 2018

Would you mind sharing the bag information or link to them on the Lowe’s website?
  • #10 by okie smokie on 16 Mar 2018

Would you mind sharing the bag information or link to them on the Lowe’s website?

The Shop Vac 4 gallon #91964 Type D.  bag.  Is for fine particles.  I just checked to see if it fits this vac, and it does perfectly.  Be sure to push the cardboard neck all the way on (esp. on the bottom).  Not cheap at $14.50 for 2 bags, but you may be able to find them cheaper on the net.  I think they are a better bag than the Porter Cable bag that came with the vac. :bbq:
Pages:
Actions