Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Memphis

Pork Shoulder on the Elite

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bar-B-Lew:
2 hour mark....one at 95° and the other at 105°...getting some nice cherry color

Once they hit about 160° they are getting a beer bath in a pan for 3-4 hours at 350°

Bentley:
I see that you have gone with the Grape Nuts rub, how do you like that?  I guess I am old, do they even make Grape Nuts anymore...

Bar-B-Lew:

--- Quote from: Bentley  on March 16, 2018, 05:03:18 PM ---I see that you have gone with the Grape Nuts rub, how do you like that?  I guess I am old, do they even make Grape Nuts anymore...

--- End quote ---

It is a lot of course salt that was in the Cuban rub and probably some dry onions.

Bar-B-Lew:
After 4 hours, the bigger shoulder was at 145° and the smaller one at 155°.  I am running out of time so I pulled them off, gave them a bath, and put them in the 350° oven to finish in about 4 hours so they are ready to pull apart.  I may flip them over after 2 hours since they are not covered by the beer like the thinner chuck roasts were.

bigger shoulder

smaller shoulder

resting in the pan

pork shoulder bath water

pork shoulders bathing

Bentley:
Certainly one way to concentrate flavors and keep the meat moist!  Do you allow the beer to reduce as you cook?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View