Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dman77fb on 02 Nov 2017
  • Admin-  I’m not sure where to put this, so please move it if you see fit.

I’m thinking of making some jerk pork.  Doing my homework I found out that jerk dishes are traditionally cooked over pimento wood, which is the plant that gives us allspice.  What do you think about mixing some allspice berries (dried spheres about 3/16”-1/4” diameter) in the hopper with the pellets? 

I don’t really notice in the finished product when I change pellets (from one “competition blend” to another), so I don’t know if I would taste any of the allspice flavor.  Has anyone tried this before?
  • #2 by Quadman750 on 02 Nov 2017
  • If you try this keep us posted with your results.
  • #3 by Bentley on 02 Nov 2017
  • I guess I do not see the connection between the fruit of a wood and the wood.  But I also think it may add a flavor you may enjoy or wish you had never thought of the idea.
  • #4 by bregent on 02 Nov 2017
  • There's a company that makes pimento wood pellets. Do a web search. They are pricey!!! 
    Their site also shows you some other ways to get the pimento wood smoke into the chicken.
  • #5 by keithj69 on 03 Nov 2017
  • maybe try it in a amzen tube or something similar before running it through the auger.
  • #6 by dman77fb on 03 Nov 2017
  • Putting them in the smoke tube is a good idea.  I have a 12-incher.  Maybe i’ll put some allspice berries every 2” or so.

The other thought I have is that the marinade I am using is pretty bold.  Intense flavors like ginger, allspice, and Scotch Bonnets.  I don’t know if it would make a difference, or if I will taste the smoke at all!

Thank you for the feedback.
  • #7 by dman77fb on 07 Nov 2017
  • I put a few allspice berries in my tube every couple of inches during the smoke.  I also had a more traditionally seasoned chunk of pork in there as well.  I didn’t notice the allspice smoke.  Maybe I didn’t use enough, or maybe it didn’t make a difference.

I wasn’t smoking until it fell apart.  I put it on smoke for about 3 hours, and bumped it to 300 until it hit 195 IT.  Let it rest and chopped it into bite sized chunks.  I served it with a coconut rice and beans side dish.  It was tasty, but I don’t think burning allspice berries made a difference.
  • #8 by cookingjnj on 07 Nov 2017
  • No idea is a bad one till you try it.  Thanks for giving us the feedback and for the creative initial thoughts.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Nov 2017
  • what cut of pork did you make?

I either cook until 160 for chops, loin, etc. or 200+ for shoulders.  Curious what it was cooked to 190.
  • #10 by dman77fb on 10 Nov 2017
  • It was a pork shoulder.  I wasn’t looking for it to break down completely, like pulled pork.  I wanted it to go long enough to make it not tough, but still have some chew to it.  Kind of like competition ribs. 

I got this portion of the technique from Serious Eats.

“Cut through one side of the pork shoulder to the bone. Cut around the bone and keep cutting to within an inch of the other side of the shoulder. Do not cut all the way through. Open the pork shoulder like a book. Cut under the bone and remove it. Pound the pork with a meat mallet or rolling pin until it is about 1 1/2 inches thick. Holding the knife parallel to the short edge of the pork rectangle, make a series of parallel cuts 1/2 inch deep and 2 inches apart from one edge to the other. Turn the pork over and make parallel cuts on the other side, working so that the cuts on the second side are midway between the cuts on the first side. These “accordion” cuts are a signature of Jamaican jerk masters and help the marinade and smoke flavors penetrate the meat.”
Pages:
Actions